SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heq5.

Dinoboy

hi everyone, I’m contemplating upgrading my mount but weight has a big say as I have problems so I no longer go to our dark site.

I currently have a skywatcher eq3-2 and am looking at the skywatcher Heq5. I do a bit of astrophography and very little visual. Would it be worth spending upwards of £1000 to get the Heq5? And would I see an appreciable difference in my images? Anyone advise please.

The nice thing about the HEQ5 is that it's light enough you can carry it assembled in one piece. The EQ6-R is so heavy that it needs to be carried in two pieces (the head alone is 15 kg).

I bought mine used for 550 EUR two years ago. A bit agrarian and it needs some set-up and polar alignment, but it does the job (I have loaded it up to a C9.25 and a Skymax 180 for planetary imaging, without guiding). A bit shaky when touching such large scopes with very long focal distances (a remote focuser is very useful). I haven't used mine with a guiding camera, but it should work well with refractors up to 4-5 inches.

If weight is a major parameter, you may want to check iOptron and their CEM series (eg CEM40). If you need extreme portability, the new generation of strain drive mounts like the ZWO AM5 sound quite promising (but you pay extra for that portability).

Cheers,

N.F.

3 hours ago, Dinoboy said:

Would it be worth spending upwards of £1000 to get the Heq5?

I would say no, but buy second hand as I did. I got my HEQ5 that way and with eyepieces and a SW 200pds all for 800 euros (about £650 at the time). I have since upgraded the mount with Rowan belts (£120 ish) and it tracks beautifully. I only do astrophotography and I am very happy with the mount. A good guide scope and camera are essential if exposures beyond 1-2 minutes are desired. You don't mention what scope(s) you are going to be using, so that may bring other options to mind!

Adrian 

On paper yes.  The HEQ5 has higher microsteps and superior stepper motors, so under perfect ideal controlled lab conditions the HEQ5 would provide better tracking and thus rounder stars.  In practice you personally may not notice any benefit.  Naturally the HEQ5 will outperform the EQ3 in stability and load carrying, and it has been for sometime classed as the "entry level" mount for serious imaging rigs.  Given current conditions post Covid, prices for new equipment is rocketing, but also a lot of people are selling up or upgrading their mounts so you will often find them listed for sale in the classified section, which for a decent condition HEQ5 can be anywhere between £600 and £800 depending if it has the Rowan bely modification.

One other factor, what OTA are you going to be using.  On a windy evening even an HEQ5 will struggle with an 200P unless it's inside an observatory and shielded form the wind.  Here's my HEQ5 + 200P on the max weight limit for the mount

heq5.jpg.5db3e24a6955c417a9f28061a5fe0b0e.jpg

Thanks for the replies, my scope is an explore scientific ed80apo, or a Radian Raptor 61, again using the ASIAIR along with an electronic focuser ( EAF) I also use the zwo ASIAIR pro to control things. I have looked on second hand sites but am always wary .

2 hours ago, Dinoboy said:

I have looked on second hand sites but am always wary

I take your point. In my case I went to the seller to see the mount before I bought it as it was not an inconsiderable sum, at least for me. Find one within a reasonable distance and go see.

I did a round trip of 476 miles in one day to pic up the HEQ5, ST80 and QHY5 camera from a fellow SGL member.  We met at a roadside diner, had a coffee and a chat, and then he set up the rig in the carpark and demonstrated the rig working.  Money was exchanged, hands shook and it was loaded into my car.  It was a long day, especially as I chose to drive up there sensibly to get the best fuel economy given my car is a 2.5ltr 5 cly Volvo, but worth it in the end.  

• Like 1

I have an HEQ5 Pro with approx 11Kg of payload (a SW 200PDS, ASI1600MM Pro Camera, Coma corrector, EAF, ZWO OAG and ASI 290 Mini guide cam).

I have also belt-modded the HEQ5 Pro and replaced most of its bearings.

I find it just about copes with this payload (probably couldn't take much more).

It regularly achieves 0.7 arc secs RMS guiding and on clear nights gives me 0.55 arc secs.

The pros for this mount:  It's solid, it is easy to maintain and doesn't weigh too much.

The cons:  For my OTA I wish I had originally gone for the EQ6R Pro as the SW 200PDS is a big wind sail.

19 hours ago, andymw said:

The cons:  For my OTA I wish I had originally gone for the EQ6R Pro as the SW 200PDS is a big wind sail.

I have virtually the same setup as you have, except I don't use an OAG, I piggy-backed a TS 80mm guider/finder scope with a QHY5III462C as guide camera and made a counterweight extension bar to balance the extra weight and all on a homemade pillar. I get RMS 0.4"-0.7" depending on seeing. For the wind problem I cemented 2m lengths of 50mm plastic drainpipe into concrete blocks and attach garden windbreak fabric between them. Works a treat, movable and is cheap.