SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory Horticulture

Xlracer

Phil

I sense a common theme here, having gardening opportunities for the ultimate authority in return for observatory privileges.

My Obsy has a Fig Tree, Grape Vines, Raspberry Canes, and a varied collection of Heathers around the inside of the compound walls, maybe we could find the most exotic bit of horticulture that was needed to get enough credits for an Obsy?

Dave

:) Dave

It sounds like SWMBO is trying to hide the obs. I put some hooks on teh frame today and I could see the cogs whirring behind the eyes as SWMBO was plotting what plants she can plant around it.

HAnging baskets are going on later in the spring Im told and there may be a clematis going in soon. Runner beans were hinted at but I think I managed to dodge that one, those beggars climb everywhere.

Ill post pics of the vegetation later in the year

Phil

Sorry to disagree with you, but I actually like the idea of plants growing up the observatory. I've just planted a climbing rose, a clematis and a honeysuckle so that they grow up one side of the observatory and along tellis mounted on two sides of the roof run-off rails. Whilst I know I'm going to prune them back three or four times a year to make sure they don't get in the way of the roof opening, they will soften the harsh outlines of the observatory and make the garden a nicer place.

• 2 months later...

OK Here you go a pic for Observatory Horticulture.

Bicolour Rhodie in front and a Clematis on each roof frame upright.

The bean frame is my old drive through engine hoist:D

Philj

post-14930-133877377729_thumb.jpg

Phil

Nice

I am hoping to grow a Clematis light screen across the top of the ibsys compound door to block out the direct light from a nearby streetlight.

Will take some pictures as it grows!

Regards

Dave Smith

• 2 weeks later...

A good clematis for this purpose then would be "Winter beauty", a fairly recent addition, it is evergreen, and provides a good covering of leaves.

For very sunny sheltered positions, Trachelospermum jasminoides would make a nice addition, with fabulous fragrant flowers, and attractive evergreen foliage.

For a more vigourous evergreen screen, Hydrangea Seemanii is a good choice. Grows in shade too.

:)

Here are a couple of quick photos I took of patio and trellis built under the run off rails fo the observatory. The large urn is a water feature. The area of lawn around the observatory will eventually be turned into border.

Great Idea, when it rains you could move the obsy roof over your patio to keep it dry :D:)

Archived