Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lacerta ED 40mm Impressions

Louis D

On 23/09/2022 at 15:11, Louis D said:

Here's one last check for eye astigmatism.  Rotate your head around the optical axis of the eyepiece as you view through it to see if the star spikes rotate with the rotation of your head.  If so, it's your eye causing it.

My employer's insurance covers one free eye exam and one free pair of eyeglasses every year, so I've been very diligent about keeping my prescription up to date.  It's also good to go to check for glaucoma, cataracts, retinal tears, etc.

I have infact booked an eye exam this week, so I guess I might get some answers there.

Ive had a (nagging) idea in my mind for some weeks now that since I am going to continue to use a small refractor quite a bit going forward, that I might as well "upgrade" from my 72mm f6 to a 80mm f7. That would drop the exit pupil from 6.67 to 5.71, which might make the problem go away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was not my intention to highjack this thread, but I thought it would be relevant to atleast mention that I do in fact have a bit of astigmatism in my observing eye. None in the other though, so I am simply going to try to use the good eye.

Thanks for the info @Louis D, I would never have checked it out if it wasn't for your comment!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grjsk said:

It was not my intention to highjack this thread, but I thought it would be relevant to atleast mention that I do in fact have a bit of astigmatism in my observing eye. None in the other though, so I am simply going to try to use the good eye.

Thanks for the info @Louis D, I would never have checked it out if it wasn't for your comment!

During naked eye observing, you'll notice star fields will look more pinpoint wearing eyeglasses if you choose to get a pair.  I don't know about Norway, but in the US, there are multiple, affordable online eyeglass makers if you don't feel like splashing out too much money just to correct minor astigmatism in one eye.

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

During naked eye observing, you'll notice star fields will look more pinpoint wearing eyeglasses if you choose to get a pair.  I don't know about Norway, but in the US, there are multiple, affordable online eyeglass makers if you don't feel like splashing out too much money just to correct minor astigmatism in one eye.

The eye exam was provided by my job, so I will be able to get a pair of glasses as well if I want to. But I have never had any problemes with this when using my 32mm plossl, EP 5.33, so I think I'll get a 28/82 instead (EP: 4.67). And I'll try out the other eye. It was better on all parameteres, not only astigmatism. Perhaps the views will be even better simply by changing eyes! That would be great. 

• Like 1