NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlows Celestron Ultima vs Meade #126

Hi all,

S@N has just reviewed barlows and I am considering between the Celestron Ultima 2x and the Meade #126. For optics the Celestron was rated 98 and the Meade 97. Seeing the previous threads I get the impression that most think the Celestron is much better than the Meade, do you think S@N has overrated the Meade?

I would prefer to get the Meade as it is only 60g compared to the 136g Celestron, if indeed the Meade is only marginally less good.

Does it matter that both my diagonals has insufficient depth for the Celestron to sit fully in, so some of the inside barrel will protrude out?

Alan

I've used both and IMHO the Celestron Ultima is a marvelous barlow wheras the Meade 126 is a decent average barlow. I reckon S@N are being rather kind to the Meade although I suppose they might have had a particualy good example of it.

The Ultima rivalled the Tele Vue Powermate 2.5x that I used to own which is no mean feat !.

John

Thanks. Does it matter that the Celestron or Orion shorty plus will not sit fully in my diagonals as they have inner barrel length of 33mm and my diagonals will only fully sit eyepieces of less than 28 and 30mm inner barrel lengths.

Alan

Thanks. Does it matter that the Celestron or Orion shorty plus will not sit fully in my diagonals as they have inner barrel length of 33mm and my diagonals will only fully sit eyepieces of less than 28 and 30mm inner barrel lengths.

Alan

I don't think it will matter although I did not find this an issue when I used the Ultima in a number of diagonals. If the barlow "sticks out a bit" it just means the focusser will need to be racked in a bit further to compensate for it.

It could be an issue if youf focusser has very limited inward travel I guess.

John

i`ve just bought a Meade #126 not used it as yet but bought it as a replacement for the cheap Skywatcher single lens offering that comes with the scope package so am hoping to get alot better quality in the viewing, also very small and light in the focuser.

will let you know how i get on with it

Archived