Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser 254 dob scratched altitude bearing help please

Decided I wanted a scope just for sweeping the sky and picked up this used 0D9AB210-1018-4B14-95E6-5A54F34C4A7D.thumb.jpeg.73f6a56037fe5c4f171572789e46288b.jpeg3DF4ECC2-E003-4723-A635-2AC542851438.thumb.jpeg.875f26c968fa5a4086de71a0b94abe56.jpegBresser 10in dob. Absolutely love it. However I need advice on one of the cart wheel altitude bearings. As you can see there are scratch marks, obviously from possible dirt rubbing in. Movement is smooth and not sticky but there is a slight grind. So can these strips be replaced and if so the best alternative. These appear to be metal. Thanks in advance. 

That’s the way I’m heading I think. Also I just want to add that after experimenting with soap, Turtle Wax and nothing. I have had a lightbulb moment😳 thinking Teflon pads and an opposing low friction substance I tried some Ceramic polish I had in the garage. Well without sounding like a teenager “OMG” ! It’s a miracle. Genuinely, sprayed onto the textured metal bearing both altitude and azimuth then buffed with a microfibre cloth. Difference is day and night yet still retains hold when not moved. Please let the clouds clear 👍

E6B0B80A-924A-4EAF-BCF8-1CE571C5877E.thumb.jpeg.55b8b4ecdfcf7fe5f5e5bc123ad1491c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Andrew stuart said:

I totally agree. However torn between a 9x50 finder or a Telrad. 

Yeah - can't abide straight-through finders.  Telrads are bulky dew-traps (but still popular).  I use a Rigel - light, tall, easy......

Doug.

Dob Securing Finder Apr 2020 #2.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Yeah - can't abide straight-through finders.  Telrads are bulky dew-traps (but still popular).  I use a Rigel - light, tall, easy......

Doug.

Dob Securing Finder Apr 2020 #2.JPG

Just been on FLO website and in Rigel is in stock plus a bit cheaper that a Telrad, which I still can’t work out why it’s so big. Doug, all my EP’s are 1.25. Would you recommend I use 2in and if so any suggestions 👍

2 minutes ago, Andrew stuart said:

Just been on FLO website and in Rigel is in stock plus a bit cheaper that a Telrad, which I still can’t work out why it’s so big. Doug, all my EP’s are 1.25. Would you recommend I use 2in and if so any suggestions 👍

Andrew - using 2" EPs gives that extra bit of field.  I have a selection of EPs (Exp Sci, Meade UWAs, Myriad MWA), but you can hardly go wrong with Revelation Astro Superview 42mm and 30mm - perfectly good, good field, not expensive.  They might come under a different name these days, but I have just checked RVO where they are still listed under the Revelation brand.

Doug.

3 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Andrew - using 2" EPs gives that extra bit of field.  I have a selection of EPs (Exp Sci, Meade UWAs, Myriad MWA), but you can hardly go wrong with Revelation Astro Superview 42mm and 30mm - perfectly good, good field, not expensive.  They might come under a different name these days, but I have just checked RVO where they are still listed under the Revelation brand.

Doug.

Cheers Doug. Don’t have a bottomless money pit but Starting a small shopping list 👍