Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is my camera damaged?

Just noticed this odd patch on my images. it appears as a smudge but looks odd when stretched. Anyone know if this is camera sensor damage or an actual smudge that I can't see. I've looked and cleaned where i can. Here's a jpg showing the area and a raw image to look at in detail. _0000_Great_Star_Cluster_in_Hercules_10_50_120_2022_06_11_RGB_VNGredring.thumb.jpg.0c843bf96f6bcfdd8b8787c8bd34ac16.jpg_0000_Great_Star_Cluster_in_Hercules_10_50_120_2022_06_11_RGB_VNG.xisf

Is the raw image you posted a stack or just a single sub? The FITS header says it's an individual light frame from NINA, so has it had any calibration?

Below is the same frame with an STF stretch applied in PI and it shows vignetting on the edges, which is worse than the bit in the centre. The smudge in the centre should calibrate out when stacked, unless it's condensation, as David suggested, and then it may increase in size as the session goes on.

_0000_Great_Star_Cluster_in_Hercules_10_50_120_2022_06_11_RGB_VNG.png.f9d799d043e2a4eba64bc4b1f6dd0f77.png

7 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Is the raw image you posted a stack or just a single sub? The FITS header says it's an individual light frame from NINA, so has it had any calibration?

Below is the same frame with an STF stretch applied in PI and it shows vignetting on the edges, which is worse than the bit in the centre. The smudge in the centre should calibrate out when stacked, unless it's condensation, as David suggested, and then it may increase in size as the session goes on.

_0000_Great_Star_Cluster_in_Hercules_10_50_120_2022_06_11_RGB_VNG.png.f9d799d043e2a4eba64bc4b1f6dd0f77.png

Just a single sub. what worried me was when you zoom in on that patch it looks kinda artificial, I stoppped imaging the night before last when I saw it and had a look in the morning at the image train but couldnt see anything. I'm just stacking last nights subs now but on a quick check it didn't seem to be there later. I only grabbed 30 mins on M13 while I was waiting for another target to clear my neighbours roof. 

• Like 1