NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M52, the Bubble and the Claw

tomato

This is last night's 2.8 hrs data with RASA8/QHY268c FOV centred on the Bubble Nebula, chosen as it was opposite in the sky to the 83% illuminated moon, albeit our satellite was low in the sky. Taken with the NBZ filter and processed following the @Luke Newbould tutorial to produce a pseudo HST palette. It doesn't do the Bubble justice, you have to squint to see it, but I didn't realise the FOV  would capture the Lobster's Claw, so that was a bonus.

Don't look at the stars too closely, especially in the bottom RH corner, the rig was dis-assembled today to put the SY135 alongside, so I wasn't going to spend an hour adjusting the tilt, and TBH imaging these kind of targets in the summer is just to keep the rig ticking over.

Thanks for looking.

Image16STAP.thumb.jpg.3ea1f5acac4b89b8bfdb7fed8706e241.jpg

Image16STAP_Annotated.thumb.jpg.474a8562361a657e585a9b73327f87a0.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks for the comments, I certainly didn’t realise so much would be in the FOV, I use Stellarium to plan the images but I don’t think my version displayed the Lobster’s Claw.

Cracking shot there mate! Unreal what you've captured with just 2.8 hours! 🙂

I really know what you mean about these summer sessions, it feels like I'm just getting settled down and then it's time to stop, haha!

Reckon I'll have a go at this myself over the summer, lovely region.

Thanks for the shout-out by the way! 

Edited by Luke Newbould
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Luke, I can almost do the process from memory now rather than follow the video! I’m using NoiseXterminator now rather than EZ, so am applying it at the non linear stage. I find with these short integration times the green channel can be quite noisy after bringing it up to match the red, so NoiseXT does a good job at this point prior to channel combination.

• Like 1

That's really interesting mate! It seems we're doing a similar thing now since noiseXterminator came out, finding it works well and saves time on the process for sure 👍

I'm still tending to finish images off with a little dab of Topaz though, while it's still starless, rather than another noiseXterminator pass. More experimentation needed though, haha! 

• Like 1