SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Searching For A New Eyepiece

LDW1

1 hour ago, great_bear said:

The TMB Paragon 40mm has become a bit of a classic (also known as the Sky Watcher Aero ED40) - and not particularly expensive either.

Unfortunately it's getting harder to find these days. I have one, and it's a keeper; I'm never selling mine (and I'm ridiculously fussy when it comes to eyepieces).

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-aero-40mm-ed-eyepiece-2.html (out of stock, regrettably).

Will keep my eyes open for one.

22 hours ago, great_bear said:

It would either have been in the Mak 180 Pro (F15) or the standard SkyWatcher 130P (F5) - I can't remember which.

Well, a 650mm focal length has a strongly curved focal plane, so it was likely in that scope.  The Mak's 2700mm focal length wouldn't have had such a curve.

20 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Well, a 650mm focal length has a strongly curved focal plane, so it was likely in that scope. 

Would it also make sense that I see no such curvature in the eyepiece that I settled on instead, the Meade 24 SWA?

Meade  24mm Series 5000 1.25

3 hours ago, great_bear said:

Would it also make sense that I see no such curvature in the eyepiece that I settled on instead, the Meade 24 SWA?

Meade  24mm Series 5000 1.25

No, the 24mm SWA/ES68 does have a bit of field curvature. What it has less of than the 24 Pan is rectilinear distortion. 

• Like 1