Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NINA autofocus operation of a dual rig

I've posted this query on the Discord NINA forum but maybe the folks on SGL can help me out.

I run a dual rig with an OAG on the master scope, and I operate the slave camera and focuser on a second instance of NINA. When the master scope runs an autofocus routine the guiding is disabled, so any subs captured on the slave scope are lost during this period. I know you can synchronise the dithering operation on two instances of NINA, but is there a way using the tools in the advanced sequencer that would enable a flag to be set which can be monitored by the other instance of NINA so that both scopes will run the autofocus routines at roughly the same time? I know I could just try and rely on process timings but I have different cameras on each scope which mean the sub download durations are different, and this time discrepancy can get quite big over say 30 subs. Also if I introduce another trigger parameter for autofocusing, such as HFR or temperature change, then planned timings cannot be used.

There is a switch function in the sequencer tools, but I think this relates to an equipment ASCOM driver?

Thanks

From what I remember the advanced sequencer does not allow for synchronized dithering. There are some other options. One would be to continue guiding during auto focus which I assume would allow the slave to continue data collection. Another option would be to refocus both rigs at a set time.

I have only just started with a dual rig and so far have paused the sequence for focussing so I am still to figure this out myself.

The problem is that with an OAG, during the auto focus routine the guide star goes out of focus sufficient to cause the guiding to stop, so the other scope’s images are no good during this period. It’s difficult to refocus both scopes at the  same time unless it can be triggered by the computer’s clock?

What if both instances of Nina have the same time setting for refocus? If they are started simultaneously they should refocus at the same time. The only possible issue is the amount of time each scope takes to focus. However if you are using synchronized dithering then you should only loose on sub.

As I said, I'm still to sort this issue come the return of astro darkness.

I have different cameras on the dual rig, the QHY 268 takes about a second longer to download than the Risingcam IMX571, not much but it adds up over the course of 30 subs. I think the only real solution would be for the two instances of NINA to talk to each other, as they do for synchronised dithering.