Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Southern Cross

CruzanGazer

Having lived most of my life in North America I was always under the impression that the Southern Cross was only visible below the equator.  I live at 17 degrees latitude now and only yesterday found out that it is visible here, low on the horizon for a short time from late April to early June.  Saw it for the first time last night.  Been listening to Crosby Stills and Nash this morning!

• Like 1

There are actually three crosses that should be visible to you in the southern skies. The most obvious is the the Southern Cross that I guess is the one you have seen. Not far away is the Diamond Cross and a bit further is the False Cross. The Diamond Cross will be the most difficult as it is the furthest south and the faintest but will clear a zero degree horizon at 17 deg N latitude by a few degrees.

Look them up.

Nigel

I’m on the Island of St Croix, in the USVI.  Yes I saw both the alpha and omega Centauri.  I’ll look for  Carina but I haven’t spotted the diamond or the false cross.  The Southern Cross was on my bucket list, so check that box!