NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good viewing site - Highlands

Hello, I hope this is not a daft question!

Since I got my ETX I still have not had a chance of using it. In my intro in the welcome thread I told you I was in N.E. Scotland at the moment - however on Sunday next I will be in the area between Inverness and Invergordon for about a week, this is due to work. I will have the opportunity to be out at all times of the night and day so doe's anybody know a good site in that area to set up for a couple of hours - please be gentle, I am a complete beginner.

Regards PP

Just about anywhere in that area should have good dark skies.

Where I live there are a few Loch-side picnic spots which are empty at night and devoid of any street lighting, a parking place and observing site in one spot.

I am sure there will be similiar types of sites near where you will be staying.its not the most heavily populated or light polluted area in the country, so you should find somewhere suitable without too much difficuilty...fingers crossed.:)

Hello

Many thanks crepitis, I am hoping to to find a site for a few days where I can finally have a look through my new telescope. I will be be working at all sorts of hours and have plenty of time during working hours to try this . My company,s site, however has got to be the the most light polluting installation in the area. I wonder if I can get them to turn lights off when not needed. Must think about this!

thanks and regards

PP

Hello

My company,s site, however has got to be the the most light polluting installation in the area. I wonder if I can get them to turn lights off when not needed. Must think about this!

thanks and regards

PP

You could always try pulling the fuse out :)

No idea about a viewing site, but i do know some wonderful salmon rivers round the area! :)

Also if you're a bit of a petrol head and fancy and thrilling drive, try the A939 from Nairn to Granton, ( ah memories)

hi there

just so happens i live in that aera( INVERGORDON) There is a couple of lay bys on the road to alness the next town to invergordon heading west that should be ok for viewing...that is if the weather keeps ...we had clear skys on thursday night good views of saturn and one moon good luck

regards chazbear:icon_salut:

Hi Chazbear,

I know the road to Alness - but had not considered it. The last time I was in the area (January this year.) There were several drlling rigs in Cromarty firth which were all lit up like Blackpool illuminations. I will be arriving in the area this evening and will be staying at the Kincraig House Hotel. I'm not sure if the the Hotel front gardens are floodlit at night (I think not.) That would be a very convenient dark site if I'm correct. I will be working at the Evanton spoolbase this week (24Hr operations) which is why I mentioned light pollution in an earlier post. If the sky is overcast, I will be in The Sutor, Caledonian or Marine Hotel etc...... I am starting to ramble (it's an age thing.) So I will finish.

Regards PP

Or of course, you if you are able you could join us (Highlands Astronomical Society) at the new observatory at Culloden Battlefield, Inverness, any night this week. There is a Science Mini-Festival (4000 Years of Astronomy in the Highlands) from 21st to 28th March, with viewing sessions open to the public on the Monday to Thursday nights (see www.spacegazer.com for details) and you would be welcome to come along and try our 14" LX200R telescope or 12" f6.5 Dobsonian!

Hi Viking,

Thanks for the reminder re: security, a very easy thing to forget. I will make my new Bulgarian technician come out with me, He's very scary - I would say 'You would'nt want to meet him on a dark night' but that's exactly what I will be doing!

He is very good at reading manuals, instructions etc. He will be an expert on my new telescope long before I am. Good! It's great being the boss!

Regards PP

Hello A. McEwan,

You must be telepathic! I was on the HAS site a couple of hours ago (Nice site - by the way.) If I can find the time I will definitely attend. I am not that busy but I am on very short notice to attend work (in Evanton.) Every 4 or 5 hours or so. Despite the fact I live in South Yorks, I am reasonably familiar with the Inverness area.

As an aside, about 1997/1998 I was shown a telescope in Ardersier by somebody who was only slightly interested in Astronomy. This scope to my untrained eye appeared to be a truss framed (wood) Refractor which was about 8 ft' long. I went away to sea shortly after and then after several months came back and moved away.

I would love to know what happened to that telescope. The person who showed it to me has since died, and I wonder if it is laid in a garage or a loft somewhere.

Regards PP

Hi PP,

Thanks for the compliments on the site!

that sounds like an interesting telescope. I haven't heard anything about it before, but then not all the astronomers up here are automatically club members, nor will they ever be I don't suppose! I'll have to ask around and see if anyone knows anything about that...

Hope you manage to come along to one or more of the sessions. Weather permitting of course. Session status is hown on the right hand side of the home page, so if it is cancelled due to weather there should be a note there!

Antony

Archived