Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 4449 LRGB

Rodd

An unusual galaxy I was not aware of until I decided to image it.  It reminds me of the LMC.   I want to add Ha, but I ran out of clear sky.  It’s on my to do list.  Conditions were typically challenging. It was very windy and hazy.  Data is only fair. But it’s consistent from channel to channel. I wanted the Lum channel to have the best seeing and lowest FWHM, but it is about the same as the others.  FWHM is around 2.4-2.5 for everything but red, which is the worst at 2.9 

C11Edge .7x reducer, asi 1600, about 16 hours of data

BEE8CD05-51BB-473F-B222-5760EFCBB117.thumb.jpeg.3754b518aa87c5b45058dbf97523e560.jpeg

• Like 19

wow you put a lot of work into this one and a very interesting object too.  Given there is a halo surrounding this object which stretches out 100,000's of LY's it would be very interesting to see it with HA added.

Suffice to say I won't add to my list as I simply wouldn't do it justice but that is lovely work especially as Alan says, your conditions of data capture. 

Steve

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

wow you put a lot of work into this one and a very interesting object too.  Given there is a halo surrounding this object which stretches out 100,000's of LY's it would be very interesting to see it with HA added.

Suffice to say I won't add to my list as I simply wouldn't do it justice but that is lovely work especially as Alan says, your conditions of data capture. 

Steve

Thanks Steve.  I wish this one was bigger!

In typical fashion I have seen fit to fiddle. I think this is a respectable version. Yes, perhaps a smidgeon over saturated, but I think it helps to avoid confusion in the core. Besides, I have seen more colorful images of this galaxy.  In the end, I am pleased with the Detail.  
882374B1-4725-4899-B929-3BDBDEE70413.jpeg.b269f1f196add88dfdb9701287c46318.jpeg

• Like 1

slightly over saturated yes, but it does help show just how much star formation is occuring in the galaxy and you can also the halo a little better.

My guess is the halo will show up much better in IR but that's a different ball game altogether.

4 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

ut it does help show just how much star formation is occuring in the galaxy and you can also the halo a little better.

Yes--a complex little galaxy.  Most images do not show much more then blotchiness.  I wanted to see if I could resolve things a bit better.  I think a dark stable night would really help.  2.23-2.5 FWHM is not bad--but 1.5 would be much finer.  Imagine .5-1.0 from Chile, or some such place?  Then I wouldn't have to bin and we would be right in the midst of it.

4 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Not seen this one before, very nice shot. Looks to me like its quite rich in Ha so am interested in seeing how adding that improves it more.

Yes, the HaLRGB images I have seen have Ha all over the place--not just the obvious spots that I managed to pick up with the red filter.  I am looking forward to adding Ha.  

Here is an unbinned version as an experiment. It’s a full reprocess. I decided to crop it so the initial size is greater, but it will still get bigger at full resolution.

DBB3E020-CCE5-4184-AE03-B4AF4CA754EC.thumb.jpeg.b87bf14afb0680c1b26e68643cffa6a8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Here is an unbinned version as an experiment. It’s a full reprocess. I decided to crop it so the initial size is greater, but it will still get bigger at full resolution.

DBB3E020-CCE5-4184-AE03-B4AF4CA754EC.thumb.jpeg.b87bf14afb0680c1b26e68643cffa6a8.jpeg

I actually prefer this although both are great. In this version the stars are just that bit sharper so the actual galaxy has got slightly better definition albeit at the expense of a little overall detail. 

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

I actually prefer this although both are great. In this version the stars are just that bit sharper so the actual galaxy has got slightly better definition albeit at the expense of a little overall detail. 

Thanks Bomber.  I think I like it best as well. I am finding the slightest adjustments can really have a dramatic impact on the image. So no doubt it could be improved (short of being processed by someone more skilled)

3 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

I think it needed a brightness adjustment— to recoup some detail

E5D8747B-5E48-4B19-A20C-DE179066C8CA.thumb.jpeg.e8cb5daa03944445d081334f9098659b.jpeg

Edited by Rodd