Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equipment Mods

Camera strap through the guide rings and looped over one of the adjustment bolts does it for me...
I don't have the room in the tube rings (and no guide rings to set that up). I just need to source a couple of very short lengths of chain or cable.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres my plan to get rotating tube rings - its simple but elegant. Only problem is I have so many different things on the go this ( along with my cooling fan project) have had to be shelved.

My idea is to use an extra set of tube rings - basically both dovetail parts will be filed off and the fitting screws that provide the hinges will be altered so that they are countersunk into the ring.

The interfacing between the rings is via a teflon washer. The diagram below gives you the idea. The dovetail between the two rotating rings would have a handle mounted to it to allow you to grip the scope and rotate it.

post-14805-133877360799_thumb.jpg

Heres my plan to get rotating tube rings - its simple but elegant. Only problem is I have so many different things on the go this ( along with my cooling fan project) have had to be shelved.

Oooh, that's quite clever, that is! You don't need TWO extra tube rings, just the one.. Probably don't even need a teflon washer, as I don't think there'd be that much friction between the two rings rubbing....

Mods? Yeah, I've done some...

My AZ-3 has seen some tweaking action:

has | AZ-3 Mount Mod

has | AZ-3 Servicing

And my ED100 saw a new focuser being attached:

has | ED100 Focuser Swap

And my Dob didn't escape mod-free either:

has | Dob Repaint

Since then the Dob has also had new Teflon pads and a disc of Ebonystar put on the rocker box underside, and I think it's now the smoooooothest Dob mount in the universe. Possibly.

A lot of stuf can be improved with some screwdriver time and a tub of grease...

Ant :)

I have the tube rings tight enough to keep the tube from slipping back when it is at a high angle, and loose enough that I can still turn the tube with a little effort. I keep the tube in position when rotating it by placing one of my thumbs against one of the rings while I am rotating. If I were to lock the tube in place with a hoop of some kind, that would limit my ability to compensate for a much heavier ep on the fly by sliding the tube up or down the rings.

Archived