SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Flat field generator large enough for an Edge HD 9.25"

StuartT

On my 150mm frac I use a home made flats panel (made from an artists LED tracing screen). But this is no longer big enough for my new scope (ext diam 272mm).

I've heard good things about the Geoptik, but the biggest one they do is 260mm.

Any advice?

Thanks 

50 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Maybe an A3 Light Box tracing Board. You might have to add a diffuser layer.

good idea! I was assuming they only came in A4 size, but that would be a good solution together with a square of opal acrylic sheet. Thanks

I use an a3 pad for my 10" newt. Tube diam is about 270mm. A couple of laminated a3 sheets of paper over it.  I also modified it to control the brightness with an Arduino.  Works a treat.  Just use reasonably long exposures as the pads flicker. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ricker said:

I use an a3 pad for my 10" newt. Tube diam is about 270mm. A couple of laminated a3 sheets of paper over it.  I also modified it to control the brightness with an Arduino.  Works a treat.  Just use reasonably long exposures as the pads flicker. 

thanks. I did wonder about the flicker. I tend to use exposures of around a second, which I dare say would even that out.

I've just popped next door to my workshop and measured my Geoptik panel. It's 380mm and I bought it late last year. (Actually it isn't really mine, it belongs to one of my robotic clients but I lent its predecessor to guests and fried it by giving them the wrong power supply in the dark!  How to spend a lot of money very quickly without getting any fun out of it...)

It's a good product, nothing like those useless and short-lived Aurora panels with their naff snap-off wiring.

Olly

• Thanks 1