Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting astronomy equipment serviced - any recommendations?

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a reliable service on astronomy equipment?  I'm not the handiest of people and despite the various websites and tutorials on how to do it, I worry about causing costly damage if I get it wrong.

I've got a couple of bits of astro kit that I'm looking to get checked - my HEQ5 and Star Adventurer, and ideally I could use someone to look at the focuser on my ED80.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Derek

Thanks Steve, I've asked FLO, but unfortunately their workshop is all full up at the moment.  I'd clocked Rother Valley did it - delivery / postage might be brutal but I've bought from them before and they always seem reliable. 

Thanks for shout, I might drop them an e-mail and see what they can do.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Delboy_Hog said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a reliable service on astronomy equipment?  I'm not the handiest of people and despite the various websites and tutorials on how to do it, I worry about causing costly damage if I get it wrong.

I've got a couple of bits of astro kit that I'm looking to get checked - my HEQ5 and Star Adventurer, and ideally I could use someone to look at the focuser on my ED80.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Derek

Perhaps we should step back one step here and ask what its is in each case that makes you think you need servicing?

There may well me a simple solution to your issues that people here can help you with. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Perhaps we should step back one step here and ask what its is in each case that makes you think you need servicing?

There may well me a simple solution to your issues that people here can help you with. 

Adam 

Thanks Adam, good point.  Nothing super-serious on the whole - I can use it all still and you probably wouldn't know there were any issues from the images - it's just that I'd rather get it checked out and fixed up now before anything gets more of an issue, and with the nights getting shorter, it's as good a time as any!

For the Star Adventurer, it's 'sticking' (best way I can describe it) at various points of rotation around its axis - and on one side more than the other.  The HEQ5 has a very slight 'play' (wiggle room?) in RA and (I think) some Dec backlash thing going on.  And the focuser on the ED80 isn't gripping too well any more, I'm having to tighten the little focuser screw pretty tight to keep it in place, and even then I'm a bit nervous about imaging objects high in the sky!

Derek

4 minutes ago, Delboy_Hog said:

Thanks Adam, good point.  Nothing super-serious on the whole - I can use it all still and you probably wouldn't know there were any issues from the images - it's just that I'd rather get it checked out and fixed up now before anything gets more of an issue, and with the nights getting shorter, it's as good a time as any!

For the Star Adventurer, it's 'sticking' (best way I can describe it) at various points of rotation around its axis - and on one side more than the other.  The HEQ5 has a very slight 'play' (wiggle room?) in RA and (I think) some Dec backlash thing going on.  And the focuser on the ED80 isn't gripping too well any more, I'm having to tighten the little focuser screw pretty tight to keep it in place, and even then I'm a bit nervous about imaging objects high in the sky!

Derek

HEQ5 pro meshing is reasonably easy to adjust and some online guides exist. 

Its also reasonably easy to adjust the tension on the ED80 focuser. Again online guides exist. 

I have not owned a SA but I am sure someone will be able to assist you with that. 

Unless someone beats me to it then ill post some links tonight after work. 

Adam 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Adam, that would be helpful. 

I've been considering doing the ED80 focuser, I've seen a couple of guides on that, and it feels like there's fewer parts to mess up / displace, but the mechanics of the mounts might be more than I dare, even if all they need is pulling apart and cleaning!