Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hot Pixels

m0pxs

Took some dark frames tonight and out of interest I thought I would have a look at them, to my surprise I found a lot of hot pixels (well that is what I think they are as it looks like a starfield. Is this normal ?  It was an 8 sec frame on iso 800

test.TIF

Hot pixels are quite normal especially on a stretched dark frame, it would be useful if you could add some more info regarding the camera in use as some DSLRs for instance have a neat trick to "re-map" dead pixels.

Alan

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Hot pixels are quite normal especially on a stretched dark frame, it would be useful if you could add some more info regarding the camera in use as some DSLRs for instance have a neat trick to "re-map" dead pixels.

Alan

The camera is a canon M100 unmodified

Not sure if this will work for you camera but the process for reducing hot pixels on Canon models is as follows.

Remove lens and turn camera on..

In the menu screen select manual sensor clean (this opens the shutter and disables the sensor to prevent static damage).

Wait one minute then turn camera off, then remove battery. It is important that you do not exit the menu screen when turning the camera off.

Wait one minute then insert battery and turn camera back on.

This process should effectively re-map the camera/sensor using the faulty pixel data.

Alan  

Edited by Alien 13
  • Thanks 1