NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hickson Compact Groups?

DaveS

With my ODK rig?

I've been working on HCG 44 for the competition And that got me thinking about other HGCs

Looking around in Stellarium I see a few, but they all look a lot smaller than HCG 44, Copeland's Septet, HCG 57 looks to be the nearest, so I was wondering...

...Has anyone done any beyond the obvious ones? Any ideas / strategy I might use to get something beyond a tick "been there, done that" sort of collecting obsession?

Yep, I know. Buy a humongous telescope and move to a mountain in the Atacama.

• Like 1

My optical imaging scale is 0.47” per pixel for small targets but  I bin this 2x2. I imaged HCG 61 in Leo for the competition.

You are right though, a lot of the groups are tiny and need imaging conditions beyond what is available in the damp UK if any meaningful detail is going to be captured.

• Like 1

Thanks, yes I saw that image, partly it's what got me thinking.

I'll try to put my HCG 44 to bed before thinking about swapping cameras for the smaller targets. Copeland's Septet, HCG 57 might be doable.

• Like 1