NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choosing focal length

I'm 15 and I've owned a 45mm refractor for a few years. I am planning(not sure yet) to build a 10" dobsonian . I want to be able to see deep sky objects like galaxies and nebulae, as well as planets(more). So what would be a good f-ratio?

BTW Are there any pitfalls of having a aperture as large as 10" ?

Portability would become an issue at 10" and above - not a problem if you're not going to move it much and there's lots of options on light weight designs. The f ratio will become important as the longer the f number is the taller your scope will be and the more difficult to get to the eyepiece. My 16" Lightbridge is a f 4.5 and it's still just under 6 ft in height - my kids need to stand on a chair to see through the eyepiece. The shorter f numbers are not so forgiving on cheap eyepieces so that's also a consideration. Hope that helps.

Sam

A 10" Dob. at f5/f6 will suit your needs. The higher the f/ratio, the higher the inherrent magnification for a given eyepiece, therefore the need to move the scope more to keep the target in view would be required. 5 or 6 is good.

The Dobsonian is a simple, but very effective instrument, and the only drawback to having a huge one, is the weight problem, although that can be overcome by using a wheelie to move it about.

A 10" f5 would be a wonderful scope for your deep sky observing.

Ron.:)

You say you are planning to build a dob, does that include grinding a mirror or will you buy a mirror set?

If you do plan to go down the glass pushing route, 10" is quite large for a first go. Also focal length will be an issue but others will have to comment on that, I have no experience.

Mike

I have a Dark Star 10" f6.3 which is a good deep sky and planetary scope. An f5 scope would have a lower magnification and wider field of view than the f6 for the same eyepiece. Following up on Mike P - the longer the focal length the easier it is to figure the glass if you are considering to build your own mirror. There are ATM websites for scope designs.

Mike

If I'm not considering height, weight, etc, but just what I can see through the scope, then would higher would be better?

Will a f 6.~ scope produce an image with significantly less contrast than a f5 one?

If I'm not considering height, weight, etc, but just what I can see through the scope, then would higher would be better?

Will a f 6.~ scope produce an image with significantly less contrast than a f5 one?

Visually an F/6 newtonian should probably show more contrast than an F/5 for 2 reasons:

1. The secondary mirror can be smaller and therefore contrast should be a bit better, all other things being equal.

2. The scope is easier to collimate and keep in good collimation which also maximises contrast.

John

Archived