Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Rosette Nebula

RobH

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beautiful work Rob. The narrow band treatment does give a nice variation to the colour without going the whole hog, false colour route. Given the remit of keeping the colour natural I don't think it's too red.

Getting the star colour right by blending in RGB data is so hard, I think you've done a reasonable job Rob but perhaps not the variation in colour you might have wanted. When you've sussed it can you let me know!!

Wow, that's a great image but 32 hours... where do you get 32 hours of clears skies?

I don't know if I'm more jealous of the image or the fact that you have 32 hours of clear skies ;-)

Anyway its an amazing result that will take me years to even try to equal...

Neil.

Getting the star colour right by blending in RGB data is so hard, I think you've done a reasonable job Rob but perhaps not the variation in colour you might have wanted. When you've sussed it can you let me know!!

Thanks guys.

I don't think it's too red either....that's the way it wanted to come out, and I wasn't going to push the blues to try to make it something that it isn't, i.e. a straight RGB image.

Blending RGB star data....it didn't come out the way I wanted, mainly because the stars were such a mess that I lost most of the colour while trying to fix them.

The problem was, I'd just got the camera, was dying to try it out, and just chucked it on the WO with a 0.5x lumicon reducer, which isn't a field flattener.

The result looked like a cross between field rotation and coma, and was even noticeable in the outer edges of the nebula.

As I'd gathered so much data, I ended up spending forever with the clone tool carefully fixing just about every star, even the very faint ones....TBH I can't be bothered to do that again just to have aother go at getting the star colour right :)

I'll put it down to experience, and not spend ages gathering sub standard data next time!

Cheers

Rob

i like this image alot and it is amazing that you got 36 hours of clear skies but if you wanted a RGB image then why add in the OIII, Hbeta and Halpha?

you have enough data to make two complete images of the rosette, one RGB and the other Narrowband

i like this image alot and it is amazing that you got 36 hours of clear skies but if you wanted a RGB image then why add in the OIII, Hbeta and Halpha?

you have enough data to make two complete images of the rosette, one RGB and the other Narrowband

I didn't want a RGB image NGC2403, what I was trying to do was get RGB stars. I like the effect that Ha, OIII & H-beta has, when used as RGB, it is close to natural, but has some interesting but subtle differences....I often use it, plus, you can shoot in moonlight. Narrowband stars though can look a bit odd, what with them being smaller in Ha etc, so I was attempting to get the best of both worlds, unsuccesfully this time but I learned a lot, which is good.

I will have a play around with various combinations of the data I think, and see what works best for this, but no way am I going to spend 3 weeks fixing stars ever again :)

Cheers

Rob

Archived