Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

looking for advice regarding binoculars

hello!

i am looking to buy a good set of binoculars to ease into stargazing. however, i have just one eye and so having binoculars meant for two eyes seems like a waste of money. :) how good are binoculars where you use just one eye? any recommendations of any that are not super expensive, like around 200 dollars maximum.

thankful for advice!

/zork

I'm in a similar position. Although I have two eyes, I can only look through binoculars with one eye, as the other doesn't line up. I carry about a little 8x21 monocular which is convenient for getting a closer look at anything I see, even star clusters and getting a closer look at the part of the sky I want to look at.

The thing about monoculars, though, is that they cost almost as much as a pair of similar binoculars. I've looked through lots of examples at trade shows, and if I wanted to spend the money, they would certainly reward the investment, but they aren't cheaper than binoculars.

I bought an inexpensive pair of binocs last year, and am using them with the cap on the left lens. Oddly enough, I think I hold the binocs steadier than I do the monocular, as there's more to grab onto.

Anyway, in short, if I were going to spend a lot of money on hand held scopes, I would go with the monocular.

You could save some money if you find a good-quality binocular that has been knocked out of alignment. Chances are you will obtain it for next to nothing. Then, separate the two oculars, the one that has the dioptre adjustment eyepiece will make an excellent monocular.

HTH

heya

thanks for the advice... i think i found a pair of binoculars that seem good....

http://www.nikonstore.se/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?p=12732

think they would make a suitable piece for a beginner?

edit: i am thinking about using it with a tripod (unless they are super expensive). one reason for picking nikon is that maybe, just maybe, such a tripod would work with my wifes nikon d50 camera (making its easier to motivate the purchase :)

Archived