NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonlite or FT focuser upgrades to 2.5 R&P on AT/TS 115/800

As title suggests, looking for details from those with any knowledge or experience on moonlite 2.5 or FT focuser upgrades to the stock 2.5" R&P that is on the Tecnosky 115, Astro-Tech 115, TS photoline 1555, Altair Astra starwave 115 etc. Not sure about the TS, but the other three are idetnical I believe.

The focuser is quite good actually, but I am keen to upgrade to 2.5" or 3" and will have that focuser for anything down the line also.

For now, does anyone know what thread is on the scope end of the existing focusers, is it M117 or M110 or different? I assume for a 2.5 Moonlite, there is an adapter? I cannot find details easily for this particular scope, aside from a post for the AT115 EDT where a moonlite was installed, but it didnt have the details.

Thanks.

I have a Moonlite but don't use it. It's too prone to slipping with a heavy CCD. A number of friends have found the same. By far the best focuser I've ever used is the FT rack and pinion on my TEC.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 20/03/2022 at 10:26, ollypenrice said:

I have a Moonlite but don't use it. It's too prone to slipping with a heavy CCD. A number of friends have found the same. By far the best focuser I've ever used is the FT rack and pinion on my TEC.

Olly

I agree. If you can afford it go with FT. 

• Like 2

I have the Moonlite and it never slipped for me. Admittedly I don’t use a full frame camera nor a filter wheel or an OAG.

The Moonlite is quite heavy and they only make motorised versions now. It’s a great focuser but if you want the best feel for a manual focuser, go for FTF.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thank you all. I completely missed the replies to this thread. That 115/800 scope was sent back after I showed the vendors (slow day in the lab at work, decided to use my autocollimator built for optical alignment tests of a different kind) that there was some flexure in the drawtube that they could not eliminate on the first send back. As the scope was essentially pristine, they took it back for refund which was nice of them.

Went back to enjoying my epsilon 130D, then I took down my 12 year old 90 mm f/6.6 triplet (similar to CF TLAPO906 that is now discontinued and the Stellarvue SVR-90T) which has such a nicely figured lens and it seemed to work well with ASI2600MC, and I imaged a little with it for a few weeks. These two images show the slight issues with the old 2.5" focuser (a feathertouch clone no longer made). There is no lateral or vertical sag at all, but I can grab the draw tube a rotate it to allow a little movement between the rack and the gap that it moves through. Some stars elongated vertically (although dealt with in the B169 region image from stacking of both side or meridian and a slight framing change from mount position change).

8d942bab-85a6-4389-9c5f-7b407da84e36.thumb.jpg.74daed30a875c1f96f88f7220b521365.jpg

ffe299b3-374b-4853-8df1-805b2bbd71e2.thumb.jpg.645b7f59c94957980d6ebee94724fdc3.jpg

Found this thread again after considering the same moonlite or FT upgrade for this scope, which would deserve one I think. Here it is, 90 mm, clear and color free but with a 3M vinyl wrap to cover and protect the CF tube (don't like CF tubes!). Might look for a more classic color wrap someday.

The FTF2525 R&P is very pricey, but looks the long term ticket and would also transpose to another scope down the line if that ever needed to happen. And I have the M90 adapter to put one on the scope. [The refractor stars were an antidote to the epsilon, time I admitted it to myself ;)]

Still a resounding Feathertouch recommendation?

IMG_20220905_151008.thumb.jpg.877bd1d4167e2c4146e43a33033fd6c0.jpg

IMG_20220905_150854.thumb.jpg.74d3ce5f830049373994b76e1d204e65.jpg

Edited by GalaxyGael

Forgot to add that TS still have a few manual moonlites in stock that will fit with the M90 adapter I have to mount it to the scope. So I can get the FTF2525 or the 2.5 CFL moonlite for this carbon tube, and searching around shows that both companies are have some issues/limited stock/only motorized options for moonlite etc. I need to upgrade this focuser if I am to use it for imaging instead of visual, so advice welcome.

I found a review on this scope from years back here on SGL, the TS version (mine is Tecnosky) and it has the Baader diamon steeltrack. That is a great focuser, but only 2".

On 31/03/2022 at 11:01, Concordia000 said:

I have the Moonlite and it never slipped for me. Admittedly I don’t use a full frame camera nor a filter wheel or an OAG.

The Moonlite is quite heavy and they only make motorised versions now. It’s a great focuser but if you want the best feel for a manual focuser, go for FTF.

My imaging train is also light. I use either an M63 threaded reducer/flattener (which would fit the Feathertouch). Moonlite has M68 thread meaning I could use the big 3inch reducer that eliminates all vignetting. M63 to M68 adapter is a easy fix for either option. For max weight, I have the 3inch TSRED379 reducer, a couple of spacers and the ASI2600MC. that's it. Comes to ~ 1.5 kg.