NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally time to start up again! (Full disk, lunt 50)

Chris-h

Been a long winter, but the sun is finally clearing the mountains again! Woohoo! :D

Seeing was pretty good today. A little rusty on the processing side, but I'm happy with it

Lunt LS50
ZWO ASI178MM (uncooled)
Best 50/1000 stacked

sun2022-03-18.jpg

Edited by Chris-h
  • Like 11

Thank you Colm

Yes, it's pressure tuned. With just the camera, I can just about squeeze in the sun with 'normal sized' proms. With the LS50, the sun is around 3.2mm (350/110), so I don't have much room to spare. A B600 would be better, especially if your sweet spot is off-center (mine is slighty off)

Edited by Chris-h

• 2 weeks later...

Neve used one, although I did look at buying it when it came out. In the end I decided not to, as I would lose my mind having to wait every time I tuned it :p  The long focal length also means a IMX294 or similar for full disk imaging.

6 hours ago, Ags said:

Thinking of getting a Solar Scout SS60-ds. I would be ecstatic to get a result like this!

Prices are going up I’m afraid. The Solar Scout (£895 in the U.K.) is now more than a Lunt 40mm at the stores I was checking today. Might be cheaper in the States, but other Daystar products have shot up in recent weeks - probably because mica’s becoming more expensive and difficult to source. Haven’t seen any Solar Scouts deliver the detail and consistency of Chris’s image above. Maybe that’s because at F/15 the scope is way too fast for the integrated Quark, which really needs to be operating at F/30 or above to get the best out of the etalon. The only way to achieve that speed is to stop down the aperture to 30mm - but then it would make more sense to buy a Lunt 40mm.

• Like 1

I get to try one next week, so we will see. I suspect that one of the issues with the SS60-DS is you need a big chip for a full disk, and what you do capture is likely to be oversampled. 

• Like 1