NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar Ring

MeerkatinBKK

Total fluke. Popped outside for a smoke a couple of nights ago around midnight. Had already brought the scope back inside hours earlier after an unsuccessful session plagued by dew (we had the first rain for over 4 months that afternoon, so you can imagine what a deluge that was). Looked up and saw this amazing phenomenon. Even got forgiven by the wife for waking her up to have a look!

Apparently it's caused by hexagonal ice crystals above 20,000ft that refract the light into a perfect sphere 22 degrees across. Anyway it's a first for me and a real treat.

post-15182-133877360126_thumb.jpg

Not a great photo I'm afraid – my lightweight tripod can't hold the camera steady towards the zenith so just laid it on a table and took a few quick shots. This was the only one which managed to fit the whole ring in-frame. Canon 20D @ 17mm, f/4, 0.8s @ ISO 1600. No cropping/processing (ahem if you hadn't already guessed!)

Nick

Thanks for your kind comments all. Wondered whether I should take a correctly exposed moon shot and blend them in PS - might look a bit contrived though.

Ah yes - 4 months of solid sunshine. Sadly followed by 8 months of 90% humidity and cloud. My heart will forever remain in rural Warwickshire! It's my first year in this hobby so will be interesting to see how much time I can get through the scope in the rainy season.

Cheers again,

Nick

Archived