SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collimating a Class Cass

Hi , i am a very happy owner of an 8" Classical Cassegrain , although its not been used in anger yet as the weather is , shall we say , unpredictable . 

I have a question about collimation . I have printed off the instructions that deal with collimation for this type of scope and understand them fully ( after reading them 6 times !! ) . Ok , so , apparently when one of these scopes needs to be collimated i take all extension tubes off the scope and just replace the focuser . Doesn't that mean that replacing the extension tubes after collimation actually mean that the scope would not appear to be collimated ? Surely the scope should be collimated with all the imaging/viewing train in place . It does seem counter productive if by collimating the scope with no extension pieces in place ( i need at least two of these to achieve focus) will , although correct for that set up will indeed not be correct when i use the scope . 

Any thoughts please 

Stu 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

So you can see the white ring around the primary when adjusting it. Remember you will only get the scope near collimated and will need to fine tune the secondary with a star test to get it spot on. 

As the scope comes collimation is usually fine for visual but a bit of fine tining is needed for imaging. 

Don't get me wrong , John ... i agree entirely with your explination . I had a sneak peak last night using a cheshire and it was ever so slightly out , certainly not enough to fret over for visual . It Yes a star test is a must :)  , Thanks 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

On 09/03/2022 at 12:24, johninderby said:

The extension tubes have no real effect on collimation

Technically no, but.... As well as making the visual collimation a bit easier it also prevents any tilt between the main mirror and the focuser less of a problem. They should be perfectly alight but experience says otherwise - especially for the 'cheap' RC's