Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on setting up the scope outside with remote access needed please

Hi All,

My rig is finally finished and awaiting first light. I'll be running NINA, PHD2, etc. on a remote Windows 10 PC attached to the scope. My quandary at the moment is that in order for me to align the scope I need to be in front of my living room PC so NINA or SharpCap can direct me as to what to adjust and that's a real hassle as the living room isn't next to the patio where the scope will be sitting. I also don't own a laptop and don't fancy buying one to be honest. Is there some kind of app I can use on my iPhone that could help?

Cheers
Daz

I haven't used it, but there is a Chrome remote desktop app for the iphone. I used to use Team Viewer from my phone when I wanted to check on my rig when in bed, but it became very unreliable at some point last year for me so I gave up with that. 

I have a mini PC on the mount, and I have to bring the laptop outside for the few minutes while I polar align with Sharpcap. Not an issue for me but not ideal for you if you don't have a laptop or very long arms.

I just opened up the Remote Desktop client on my Samsung Android phone and it worked perfectly - actually very easy to use once you understand how to move the mouse pointer and how to click. Screenshot below.

So it looks like you can prop your phone up somewhere (maybe get a car phone holder and attach it to the mount?) while you adjust alt and az bolts.

image.png.caa3f325f5bc4b668e462edb74ca7659.png

5 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

I have a mini PC on the mount, and I have to bring the laptop outside for the few minutes while I polar align with Sharpcap. Not an issue for me but not ideal for you if you don't have a laptop or very long arms.

I just opened up the Remote Desktop client on my Samsung Android phone and it worked perfectly - actually very easy to use once you understand how to move the mouse pointer and how to click. Screenshot below.

So it looks like you can prop your phone up somewhere (maybe get a car phone holder and attach it to the mount?) while you adjust alt and az bolts.

image.png.caa3f325f5bc4b668e462edb74ca7659.png

Thanks for the reply. Not sure (need to do a search) if you can get Windows Remote Desktop on an iPhone.

12 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

Yes. Connected to the internet at all times.

I use RealVNC. You setup VNC Server on your imaging PC and you can control it from any other PC, tablet, phone with VNC Viewer. It needs an Internet connection to work though. I've been using it for a few years now and its never let me down, dropped connection etc. I've tried RD but i can't get on with it.