Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing expectations for tomorrow (05/3/2022)

bomberbaz

Howdie all.

Just wondered what opinions are on tomorrow's possibilities are given we will have a 2 day/6% moon (according to my phone moon app)

Biggest problem is quite a few of my desired objects are uncomfortably close to the sliver of moon that will be showing.  The sliver will set around 9pm

My first on the list is M33-triangulam galaxy which will be pretty much on top of it. Thing is I use M33 as one of my standard candles for measuring the darkness so tomorrow I think I may have to ignore that one although I shall give it a quick go. 

However another choice is the Jones 1 planetary nebula as a standard candle. it is nothing to write home about but gives a good measure of darkness. I am classing it as a horsehead indicator. If it shows, the HH should be gettable.

I am also going to have a bash at some quasars, of the six on my livesky list, 4 should be in a position to get at some point in the evening including HS 0624 6907 which is a mere 4.5 Billion light years away.

Anyway, back to my query, I have never tried viewing with a small waxing moon before believe it or not so how much effect is that pesky sliver going to have on the viewing potentials?

I may have to amend my list! 🤣

TIA
Steve

On 05/03/2022 at 18:23, faulksy said:

looking good for tonight steve. moon wont be to bad. take any clear skys you can👍

TBH mate when I got there the site was a bog, got out of car and sank in mud.

My mojo crumbled and came home.

I should have gone to my other hard standing site but never really thought about it.

Might do some garden observing tonight, not the best but it is still better than nothing at all.

21 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

TBH mate when I got there the site was a bog, got out of car and sank in mud.

My mojo crumbled and came home.

I should have gone to my other hard standing site but never really thought about it.

Might do some garden observing tonight, not the best but it is still better than nothing at all.

That reminds me of the first time I went to my dark sky site. When I got there in the dark on my own I bottled it and came home 🤣

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, faulksy said:

That reminds me of the first time I went to my dark sky site. When I got there in the dark on my own I bottled it and came home 🤣

TBH I wasn't really up for it but I thought I might gee up once i got there but alas no, didn't take much to send me home, lol. 😂

• Like 1