SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 100ed Pro and flattener?

I have the SW100ED Pro with the flattener/reducer which I am using for astrophotography. The SW has a focal length of 900mm and with the flattener/reducer, 765mm. I read on one of the forums that scopes (refractor) of 800mm and above do not need a flattener.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

G

You can use the 100ED DS Pro without a flattener but the edges may have odd shaped stars.

I got an OVL field flattener for my 100ED DS Pro for when I wanted the full 900mm focal length with a camera. ;)

• Like 1

Hi Martin

The flattener will do nicely; will allow me to use it at 900mm. I currently have the flattener/reducer. Question, does the OVL screw straight into the focuser tube, and the 55mm backfocus assembly for the camera then screw into the rear of the OVL? Sorry if it is a silly question.

Thank you

G

2 hours ago, GrampyG said:

Hi Martin

The flattener will do nicely; will allow me to use it at 900mm. I currently have the flattener/reducer. Question, does the OVL screw straight into the focuser tube, and the 55mm backfocus assembly for the camera then screw into the rear of the OVL? Sorry if it is a silly question.

Thank you

G

The OVL FF pushes into the 2" eyepiece mounting on the focuser, it doesn't screw on like the SW FR/FF does. The camera & spacers do screw onto the FF though. ;)

I have the Starizona Apex 0.65 for my Esprit 80ED Pro. It is a superb piece of optics. They supply a long version for the ED100. Make sure you put the best quality glass on your triplet refractor. Or you will degrade the picture quality. 

20 hours ago, GrampyG said:

I read on one of the forums that scopes (refractor) of 800mm and above do not need a flattener.

I hadn't heard that before.

What I have read is that as refractor FL increases, Chromatic Aberration becomes less apparent.

Flatteners serve a different purpose that may still be necessary at 800mm FL.

Michael

Doh!! Already have the appropriate fitting for the SW!!😬

Michael, thank you for your reply.

I've been using the SW 0.85 reducer/flattener but would like to try the scope at is maximum of 900 mm

• Like 1