Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellaLyra 8" Dob - small niggle with included eyepiece

Hi all

I have recently taken delivery of a StellaLyra 8" Dob and after waiting a few weeks for the storms to clear have finally managed to get it outside.

Whilst i am very pleased with the scope there appears to be an issue with the included 30mm 2" eyepiece. As a few others have noted in their reviews on FLO's website I could not achieve focus without pulling it out slightly from the focuser. Now my question is, is this issue related just to the eyepiece or is it an issue with the focuser?

If its just the eyepiece I won't be losing too much sleep over it and will probably look to replace with something similar from another brand. With that said, are there any recommendations on which eyepieces to buy next? I only have the 30mm and 9mm that came packaged with the scope.

Thanks

I have the 12" Dob, and to me the included 30mm is absolute pants.

All my eyepieces come to focus without the included 35mm extension tube; though I haven't tried my 42mm LVW yet. Some eyepieces must need it, otherwise, why is it there?

1 hour ago, Matttt said:

Hi all

I have recently taken delivery of a StellaLyra 8" Dob and after waiting a few weeks for the storms to clear have finally managed to get it outside.

Whilst i am very pleased with the scope there appears to be an issue with the included 30mm 2" eyepiece. As a few others have noted in their reviews on FLO's website I could not achieve focus without pulling it out slightly from the focuser. Now my question is, is this issue related just to the eyepiece or is it an issue with the focuser?

If its just the eyepiece I won't be losing too much sleep over it and will probably look to replace with something similar from another brand. With that said, are there any recommendations on which eyepieces to buy next? I only have the 30mm and 9mm that came packaged with the scope.

Thanks

Some 2” eyepieces require the extension piece to reach focus. This is the reason it’s included and it’s not a big deal to me to simply either use it or pull the 2” EP out 5mm. The plus points on this scope negates this  minor niggle in my opinion 

As mentioned you should a recieved a 35mm extension with it.  You may need that to achieve focus.  In some cases you may need more then that and there is a 50mm/2 inch extension available as well.  

9 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I have the 12" Dob, and to me the included 30mm is absolute pants.

Could you elaborate?  Is it blurry across the entire field, only at the edges, suffers from massive field curvature and/or kidney beaning galore, etc.????

Is it the same as the 30mm GSO SuperView 2" eyepiece?

Is it less sharp in the inner 50 degrees than a typical 32mm Plossl?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2022 at 15:42, bosun21 said:

Some 2” eyepieces require the extension piece to reach focus. This is the reason it’s included and it’s not a big deal to me to simply either use it or pull the 2” EP out 5mm. The plus points on this scope negates this  minor niggle in my opinion 

On 27/02/2022 at 16:42, Mike Q said:

As mentioned you should a recieved a 35mm extension with it.  You may need that to achieve focus.  In some cases you may need more then that and there is a 50mm/2 inch extension available as well.  

Thanks both, 

I have now been able to try the eyepiece with the extension tube and was able to reach focus. Wasn't really sure why it was included but now it makes sense - i'm very new to this and have lots to learn!

....and, interestingly, it isn't because the 30mm has a 2" barrel. I tried the SL 2" 20mm 80° (LER/UWA) on the same scope and it didn't need either the extension or pulling out. Must be a peculiarity of the Superview.

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

....and, interestingly, it isn't because the 30mm has a 2" barrel. I tried the SL 2" 20mm 80° (LER/UWA) on the same scope and it didn't need either the extension or pulling out. Must be a peculiarity of the Superview.

It’s due to the focal length being longer in the 30mm Superview and to a lesser degree the eyepiece characteristics.

• Like 1

Each eyepiece focuses at a different point relative to its shoulder or reference plane.  Those requiring an extension tube have their focus plane below the reference plane.  An alternative to the extension tube is to add an extension ring to the filter threads and add rubber O-rings to push the reference plane downward as I did with my 12mm NT4.  This made it nearly parfocal with most of my other eyepieces that focus very close to their shoulder.

1801348629_TelevueNagerT412mmEyepiece.jpg.b123e1fcc00e927450115a9bdf3942ce.jpg

• Like 3