Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tips for observing when it's cloudy

Paz

Quite a high proportion on my observing is when it is cloudy to some degree because accepting that increases dramatically the amount of observing options and opportunities. I am interested in any tips people may have on this. I have a few below...

Thin cloud doesn't stop observing. I find bright doubles, planets, and the moon are still good. I think of thin cloud like I think of light pollution. It's annoying and limits what you can do but it doesn't stop you going out.

If there are chunky clouds with enough gaps I may pick a few separate bits of the sky and if one is clouded out I switch to another and back and forth.

Noticing local cloud behaviour. Where I live it's very often sunny in the morning and clouds boil up in the afternoon so solar is better to do on the morning. Then it's more often clear in the early evening and clouds often pick up a couple of hours after dark. So if it's touch and go I'll go out sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Low clouds aren't so much of a problem if they are intermittent.. I would in this case just get out my refractor on the alt/az mount for easy moving from one location in the sky to another.  High clouds are a bane as they are normally covering most of the sky and in this case transparency will normally be awful anyway for deep sky objects.  I've become much more interested in observing the Moon lately so have been able to take advantage of a few nights when it's been quite cloudy to still view in the "windows" of opportunity.

• Like 2

Often, even when the clouds are thick and fast moving, there can be large sucker holes that can offer amazing seeing conditions. So patience coupled with a positive attitude definitely pays off in this game. Also, having varied interests can be a lifesaver. Planet's are dynamic and ever changing and can really sharpen observing skill. And why avoid the Moon when the Moon is all you can see? Having a simple project in mind can help, such as looking for albedo differences on the seemingly featureless flat floors of walled planed craters such as Aristarchus, or tracing fine rilles around the shores of mare and seeing where they lead you. It's amazing how much detail can be seen when we have a purpose.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Often, even when the clouds are thick and fast moving, there can be large sucker holes that can offer amazing seeing conditions. So patience coupled with a positive attitude definitely pays off in this game. Also, having varied interests can be a lifesaver. Planet's are dynamic and ever changing and can really sharpen observing skill. And why avoid the Moon when the Moon is all you can see? Having a simple project in mind can help, such as looking for albedo differences on the seemingly featureless flat floors of walled planed craters such as Aristarchus, or tracing fine rilles around the shores of mare and seeing where they lead you. It's amazing how much detail can be seen when we have a purpose.

I agree with this, I am happy having a go at any targets and generally have a go at whatever suits the conditions.

• Like 2