NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NINA auto focus star detection

Goldchip

Hi, I've been using NINA for a while now with great success apart from the focus routine. 

I understand that when determining the step size the advice is to allow the FWHM to deteriorate by 3-4 times.

My problem is my FWHM will go from approx 1.5 - 2 at best and then up to 3.5 at worst, stars worse than this are ignored by the star detection calcs.

Is there a setting which would allow the it to measure bloated stars?

This of course means I don't get a decent curve, any help would be appreciated.

K.

Thanks Scotty,

So its a Pegasus Astro Focus cube driving the 1/10 speed shaft of a 2"Crayford type focuser. Scope is a  Meade 8" SCT with an Atik 383L CCD.

I can get a reasonable curve if I lower the step size but the FWHM only changes by at best 1.5 which means the routine is only successful if the seeing is very good.

I've just had a thought.......I bin 2x2 so as not to over sample and more importantly to reduce the overall focus time, maybe this is causing a problem with star detection?

Screenshot (22).png