Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 in one hour, and ten minutes (separately, on different rigs)

AKB

Last night, Feb 22, between about 9.00 and 10.00 PM.  The transparency and seeing wasn't as good as I had hoped for, but at least there was no moon.

I have my EEVA scope (f2.5, 9" Hyperstar) and my imaging scope (f7, Esprit 120ED) on the same mount and I thought it might be nice to compare short and rather longer exposures on these two.  Clearly, though, I haven't got them aligned quite right! 

Nonetheless, a creditable effort from the uncooled Ultrastar in 10 minutes, compared to 6 times that from the ASI294MC, and an endorsement for EEVA.  The colour image was, of course, subsequently processed a fair amount in PI.  The mono one, though, was collected in real-time using the excellent Jocular sofware by  @Martin Meredith.  This, I suppose, is the difference between f2.5 mono and f7 OSC.

I do need to take new flats for both.  Sorry about the image rotation.

Tony.

20220222_M51-Esprit120-ASI294MC-IDAS-12x5m.thumb.jpg.3b7b5a684d819905cd46c92a063081a5.jpg

1758151061_Messier5123Feb22_15_12_08.jpg.c8dde9240d3608ab4e92782d27511f2c.jpg

Edited by AKB
  • Like 9

A modest aperture mask is used to improve the tendency to bloat stars with the Hyperstar.  Marginally reducing the aperture slightly changes the effective diameter and therefore changes the focal ratio – in this case from f2.3 to f2.5.  Along with a curved former for the camera leads to remove diffraction spikes, this seems to give the Hyperstar a very acceptable performance in terms of star shape.  Certainly works for me in the EEVA application.  I think it looks pretty good for such a fast system.

Tony