Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen Focuser Enhancement: JMI Motofocus Vs Vixen Dual Speed Focuser Upgrade

I've got an old Vixen ED114SS with the original rack and pinion focuser, and I'm hoping to make it easier to fine tune focus for astrophotography.  I've seen that Vixen do an eye wateringly expensive dual speed upgrade kit (£169) but I've also seen a JMI Motofocus (£130) available.

I've got an Atik AP setup and the weight of the filter wheel means that I've had to increase the focuser tension, so I'm wondering whether that will cause issues with the JMI?  Also, does anyone know whether I can still manually focus using this? Their site mentions "electronic braking" for fine focussing, so I'm not sure whether that means I'd have to do all focusing using the Motofocus.

As a side note, I bought a 2" Moonlite focuser (which is so nice) with the scope but it only had 1.5" travel and it was a pain to use with spacers.  If I could afford to get one that better matches the scope, it would be decision made.

Thanks,
Jon

40 minutes ago, Jp114 said:

As a side note, I bought a 2" Moonlite focuser (which is so nice) with the scope but it only had 1.5" travel and it was a pain to use with spacers.  If I could afford to get one that better matches the scope, it would be decision made.

Could you sell the Moonlite and buy one with more travel? I have one on my Vixen FL102S and it has loads of travel, 4.5” I think. I think it suits the Vixen very well.

AF45234F-B0CB-44E7-ADEC-94E52878577B.jpeg

18 hours ago, Stu said:

I think it suits the Vixen very well.

Thanks Stu, do you know whether it's possible to use Vixen's flatteners/reducers with a 2.5" Moonlite?  They're a bit unusual (to me at least) because they're fitted inside the focuser shaft.