SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cone, Foxfur and Hinds Variable Nebula if you can find it

CCD Imager

Taken with my Askar 400mm lens at F5.6 and ASI 6200. Total imaging time of approximately 9 hours.

This is taken through narrowband and RGB filters, but ended up ditching the SII for a bicolour image, then combined the blue filter image

I am enjoying the wide field this combination of astrokit offers

Adrian

Cone_Nebula-RGB-Pr.jpg

• Like 26

• 1 month later...

Outstanding wide field image!

I imaged this field ( not as wide) and nebulosity filled the view. 
I also like that the Fox Fur doesn’t stand out bright blue (personal preference).

Very nice work on this image!

Jim

HI Jim

Thanks for commenting.

I admit I did try to extract some blue (OIII) in the foxfur, but it just isnt there. Imaging through broadband filters would clearly show the blue. 

I would like to revisit this object next year with a longer focal length to really bring the detail out in the foxfur, there are only hints in this image! The beauty of this hobby is that objects can respond to a variety of field of views.

Adrian

Really lovely and with the tiniest of powdery stars.

Ha-OIII-Blue is an interesting idea which I've never tried. The blue is reflection broadband, of course, so only a BB filter will do. I remember Ian King posting an Ha-OIII-Blue image more than ten years ago and have never got round to having a go. I dare say modern star-removal software would make the combining much easier.

Very interesting!

Olly

Hi Olly

Indeed I did remove the stars in my workflow, we now have much armory for this. I usually take short exposures in RGB for the stars, but after taking the image, I tried the combination Ha, OIII, Blue, with the hope that the blue reflection areas would be enhanced, but alas I only had a few blue exposures

Adrian

12 minutes ago, CCD Imager said:

Hi Olly

Indeed I did remove the stars in my workflow, we now have much armory for this. I usually take short exposures in RGB for the stars, but after taking the image, I tried the combination Ha, OIII, Blue, with the hope that the blue reflection areas would be enhanced, but alas I only had a few blue exposures

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I guessed you'd used star removal (and very deftly.)  Did you resize the blue stars to match the NB stars? The basic problem with HaOIIIB strikes me as being the mismatch in star size between blue and narrowband.

Olly

Hi Olly

I used much shorter exposures for the blue (and RG), so they did roughly match. You could also remove the narrowband stars and insert the RGB stars to produce natural stars with natural colours which was my original intention for taking them.

Adrian