Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light for C11 Hyperstar

darditti

I bought this gadget (the hyperstar and adaptor kit) some time ago but delayed fitting it as I consider this the galaxy season and therfore I thought it would be best to leave the scope at f10 for those. Comet Lulin caused me to reconsider. Having now done the Hyperstar conversion (which is not easy, you have to largely disassemble the scope), I can see that there was no need for delay as it is a very clever piece of kit. With the conversion done, you get a threaded secondary holder which makes it very easy to swap between the normal f10 configuration and the Hyperstar f1.8 configuration.

Anyway, here is an obvious first subject (not the comet). Unfortunately there was moonlight and very poor transparency, with mist scattering the LP, and Orion was past the meridian. 20 x 1 min exposures, unguided, on AP 900 mount, QHY8 camera plus Hutech IDAS LP filter.

This is the first time I have caught the running man, I have never before had enough FOV.

Conditions were unfavourable, but the setup is promising. More from this soon.

David

M42-09-03-05IDAHyp1minLR.jpg

That's a super start for the new system. The future looks good, and some great stuff can be anticipated from this speedy system.

Pity about the comet losing out to moonlight though. Could have been a corker.

Ron.

Yes, the fact the image is pretty sharp to the corners is pleasing. You do not get this with SCTs normally. In fact is is not perfect, there is some elongation in the top left, so it is possible I have not got the collimation perfect, but I think I got it quite close.

I got quite worried about the fitting process, getting the telescope back together exactly as it should be. Starizona provide a video that shows you how to do the Hyperstar conversion, but it misses a few vital points out, like how to make sure the corrector is oriented as it was, and what to do about the corrector shims that fall out and you can't work out what they were for or where they went...

Anyway, I hope it proves worthwhile. I did catch the comet later, and still need to process that one.

David

Archived