Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pegasus PB Adv & ult mounting brackets - distance between holes

Hi all,

I hope the title makes sense, but in the way of a bit of context - I am trying to find out the distance between the mounting bracket holes of both the PPBA and PPBU. This to determine whether they can (or cannot) fit on my existing dovetail or whether i would need to get a longer one or another with different hole configurations etc...

As an example, the PPBA is 100mm in length, so does that make the mounting bracket holes 105mm apart / 110mm apart and so on?

Thanks,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny_H

• Jonny_H changed the title to Pegasus PB Adv & ult mounting brackets - distance between holes

@scotty38

Sorry to come back on this one.

Another quick question for you and a potential workaround for me - what does the underside of the PPBA look like? Does it have screw holes in the bottom of it (a bit like the ASIAir where you can screw a finder clamp to it etc...)?

Mine's mounted up so I can't quite see 100% but other then a couple of screws holding the base plate on I cannot see any. The mounting holes are on the short edges so you're going to need an L shaped bracket of some description. I guess you could use the base plate holes and if the unit is 100mm I'd put them at about 90mm centres give or take.

4 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Mine's mounted up so I can't quite see 100% but other then a couple of screws holding the base plate on I cannot see any. The mounting holes are on the short edges so you're going to need an L shaped bracket of some description. I guess you could use the base plate holes and if the unit is 100mm I'd put them at about 90mm centres give or take.

Thanks @scotty38

Another option is of course to print a bespoke bracket, or purchase an already printed third party one. I have seen some 3d printed brackets from Buckeyestargazer but they are based in the US so shipping might hurt a bit!

Edited by Jonny_H

Well..... another alternative is a couple of those sticky pad type things. I bought some 3M ones off Amazon a while back and I know if I used a couple of those it wouldn't be going anywhere. Would possibly leave residue behind of course if you wanted to remove at a later date.

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

Well..... another alternative is a couple of those sticky pad type things. I bought some 3M ones off Amazon a while back and I know if I used a couple of those it wouldn't be going anywhere. Would possibly leave residue behind of course if you wanted to remove at a later date.

That is very true and a good shout. I didn't think of using them!

I guess as an extra piece of security and piece if mind I could put a couple of cable ties around it and the dovetail.

But from past experience with the outdoor 3M sticky pads they probably won't be going anywhere for a while!

Another quick question for you - in your opinion is there any benefit over the ultimate vs the advanced? I can see the benefit of the extra USB ports but at almost double the price of the advance I'm not convinced the additional features or worth the money. I.e. having more control over the 4 x 12V ports etc....

I thought I would get your views.

I had the same dilemma, Ultimate versus Advance and for a while I was torn due to the control I thought NINA had over only the Ultimate. Turns out there is a driver for the Advance so I can pretty much do everything I want apart from switch the 12v ports off individually. As it happens they control my camera, focuser and mount and soon my new flat panel so I want them all on or off at the same time anyway so it's no big deal. I can switch those ports off and leave the adjustable port on as that powers my mini pc so is always on. I basically control it all using the advanced sequencer in NINA, switching stuff on at the start and then off at the end of an imaging run. Example startup sequence:

Capture.PNG.8566a1223fde984578e1ea17cf610626.PNG

So, to answer your question now I have the Advance and can see how I can control it the Ultimate would not be worth it for me.

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

I had the same dilemma, Ultimate versus Advance and for a while I was torn due to the control I thought NINA had over only the Ultimate. Turns out there is a driver for the Advance so I can pretty much do everything I want apart from switch the 12v ports off individually. As it happens they control my camera, focuser and mount and soon my new flat panel so I want them all on or off at the same time anyway so it's no big deal. I can switch those ports off and leave the adjustable port on as that powers my mini pc so is always on. I basically control it all using the advanced sequencer in NINA, switching stuff on at the start and then off at the end of an imaging run. Example startup sequence:

Capture.PNG.8566a1223fde984578e1ea17cf610626.PNG

So, to answer your question now I have the Advance and can see how I can control it the Ultimate would not be worth it for me.

That's interesting to know. Thank you.