NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 180/2700 Mak for planetary viewing?

Hi,  I am looking at getting a dedicated scope for planetary viewing,

After doing a lot of research,  I think i have come down to the Skywatcher 180/2700 Mak.

So i was hoping i might be able to get some advise on here if this would be a good choice as a dedicated scope for planetary viewing.

I have a few other scopes, a 16" Dobsonian with goto and a Skywatcher Esprit 150

The Dobsonian is a great scope,  but it is a bit of a pain for a few to use due to having to stand on a small step ladder to see through the eyepiece.

I don't mind myself,  but it is getting to be an issue with a few elder people that like to be able to see the planets, and some of the younger ones that are just not tall enough.

So long story short, the mount it is going on is a iOptron CEM120, so definitely no issues there weight wise.

Mounting a scope like the mak on this would allow much easier access to the eye piece.

Any advice on if the SkyWatcher 180/2700 is a good choice, or possibly look at something else maybe?

Looking at astronomy.tools site,  it appears the field of view from my 16" Dobsonian with a 10mm tele Vue Delos eye piece has a better view compared to the standard 28mm eyepiece that comes with the 180/2700 mak.

Can the mak handle a 10mm eyepiece?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

While the SW 180 mak is a good planetary scope ypu might also consider the GS0 8” Classical Cassegrain.  Used to have the 180 mak but replaced it with the 8” CC. Find it has the edge over the 180 in on axis sharpness and resolution.and has a crayford focuser and fixed primary (no mirror flop). Great overall build quality and will take about 500x mag on the moon when seeing is good enough.

Classical Cassegarains used to be very expensive and hence you didn’t see many around but now that GSO has brought out an affordable version it is rapidly gaining in popularity.

I have both the 8” CC and the 6” CC which is a grab’n’go scope.

My 8” CC along with a 125 APO.

BBEE5278-2EBC-45BE-8339-DE93AFA432DD.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

2 hours ago, bluesilver said:

and a Skywatcher Esprit 150

Hi @bluesilver

I owned a Skymax 180 for two planetary observing seasons and in the end sold it and got a 125 mm APO instead for planetary observations. Reading that you already own a 150 triplet APO I sincerely recommend that one instead of the MAK. Here is a short summary why:

• When observing planets, we really want contrast, I think we agree on this.
  • The 180 Skymax has less contrast than a 125 mm APO, so you 150 APO has already more contrast (you can read a very long discussion on why this is here on the forum https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/371424-mtf-of-a-telescope/ I even submitted some measurements of my Skymax).
  • I found the Skymax 180 to be a good scope, but cooling times (of several hours if you are unlucky) and the mechanics of its main-mirror focus (mirror shift and or flip) are clearly a disadvantage compared to an APO.

So I would recommend getting some good EPs for your 150 APO and enjoy sharp, high contrast views of the planet. With a 4 mm planetary EP you are already up to 265x, That should be great for Saturn.

Talking of observing planets with an APO, @John managed to observe Triton with his 130 mm APO https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/383630-jupiter-the-oval-ba-and-others/?do=findComment&comment=4143988, so there is really no limit ;) to observing planets with a decent sized APO.

Hope this helps.

Edited by alex_stars

Thanks for the replies and advise,  appreciated.

The only reason i am not using the Esprit 150 for visual on the planets is that you basically have to just about lie on the ground to get your eye to the eye piece when the planets are up nice and high.

The 150 is a long scope and anything over 45 degrees mean you are on the ground to get to the eyepiece.

It is not possible to mount the scope up higher on a tripod to enable easy viewing,  it would have to be mounted at around head height almost.

But you are correct,  is is a great scope, but i use it for imaging.

I might have to look more into the  GS0 8” Classical Cassegrain, can't say i have really heard much about these.