Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starquest 130 combi mount

Whilst researching what scope to buy I noticed a view sites stating that the SW starquest 130p has a EQ mount which can also be used in alt az mode. 

Am I missing something here?

isn't this a great idea and if not why not.

Is the mount available separately?

Hi @Redmike and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

21 minutes ago, Redmike said:

Am I missing something here?

isn't this a great idea and if not why not.

I think it is a great idea... especially if you are purely a visual astronomer or for grab & go observing sessions.

• Thanks 1

Mount not available separately for some reason.

Idea is great.

In principle any EQ mount operating at north pole is effectively Alt/Az mount (RA axis points straight up and is azimuth while DEC is then turned into altitude).

People have modded EQ3 and EQ5 to be able to do this:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/67539-astroview-modified-to-alt-az-mount/

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=130920

There are a few drawbacks - like scope sometimes hitting tripod legs - but it can be countered with using column to raise mount head with respect to tripod.

Another lightweight mount from Skywatcher was able to do that - it was AZ-EQ Avant. Also not available separately, and as far as I can tell - no longer available (shared some parts with StarQuest).

See for example - this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkVergOxt_E

AZ GTI is alt az mount that can operate as EQ if put on wedge.

AZEQ5 and AZEQ6 are skywatcher heavy duty goto mounts that are capable of being used in both AZ and EQ configurations.

Then there is this thing:

image.png.22a27241ba30cc0da8e786e691b56c77.png

which is called EQ-AL55 and should be dual EQ / AZ mount from SkyWatcher - but that is something I've not seen yet. It is supposed to be available from some suppliers.

8 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Then there is this thing:

image.png.22a27241ba30cc0da8e786e691b56c77.png

which is called EQ-AL55 and should be dual EQ / AZ mount from SkyWatcher - but that is something I've not seen yet. It is supposed to be available from some suppliers.

Wow, that’s an awkward looking mount! I guess that’s rigged for the equator?  It would work better as an alt Az when out like Dave has his SP ie the counterweight horizontal and the scope mounted out to the side.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Wow, that’s an awkward looking mount! I guess that’s rigged for the equator?  It would work better as an alt Az when out like Dave has his SP ie the counterweight horizontal and the scope mounted out to the side.

Indeed.

It is also quite expensive! 570e for manual mount that is EQ5 class.

https://tavcso.hu/en/productgroup/mech_eqal-55

Thank you all for the replies. so I wasn't being stupid and it seems to be a good idea that nobody has actually put in a production as a standalone purchase, pardon the pun. 

I'm looking at a mount for a SW explorer 150 and FLO offer this scope with an  AZ4 or an EQ3-2 mount and I'm torn between which one or buy the OTA separately and choose another mount but my budget is £500 and that will take up half of it hence my initial reference to the combined starquest 130 mount. 

I'm not into AP (yet)so AZ is the sensible option for now anyway I guess !!

Edited by Redmike

Az is much better option as with EQ and newtonian - eyepiece and finder scope end up in very awkward positions, but do consult FLO if Explorer 150 and AZ4 make a good combination. I have one concern - will you be able to point the scope straight up?

Long tubes hit the mount and can't fully reach 90°:

N+150-1200+na+AZ4+3.jpg

There is also potential for hitting the legs with OTA (but that is mostly with long tubes).