NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with Celestron NextStar 4SE

Hello,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me as I've searched Google and eBay until my hair is falling out.  We have had a Celestron NextStar 4SE for like 5 years.  I am trying to set it up again (from years ago) and we have discovered that one of my kids broke a piece of our telescope.  I cannot for the life of me find what item I need to buy to fix this situation.

I took a screengrab from a YouTube video.  The tube that you insert the eye piece into has broken (at the threads and since was thrown away).  Now I can't figure out how to connect my eyepiece.  There has to be some cheap adapter i would think.  I still have my 25mm plossl eye piece.  What am I missing?  Could someone point me to what I need to buy to replace this part?

Thanks for your help.  I am a total beginner.

PXL_20220131_182530703.MP.jpg

Not sure where you will find that part ( Diagonal barrel ) You could always just get a star diagonal and fit it to the rear port and bypass the upper eyepiece fitting. You would need a 1.25” to T2 adaptor.

Here is the manual

https://www.nexstarsite.com/Manuals.htm

The Nexstar site has loads of info on everything Nexstar related.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Actually a diagonal barrel from a star diagonal might fit the broken part but hard part would be finding one with the right thread. 🤔

Here’s a photo showing a diagonal fitted using a 1.25” to T2 adaptor.

AE74DEB6-E0E9-4C62-B812-F6233227888E.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Not sure where you will find that part ( Diagonal barrel ) You could always just get a star diagonal and fit it to the rear port and bypass the upper eyepiece fitting. You would need a 1.25” to T2 adaptor.

Here is the manual

https://www.nexstarsite.com/Manuals.htm

The Nexstar site has loads of info on everything Nexstar related.

Thanks for the link to the manual.  The manual calls the piece I need to replace the "eyepiece barrel".  I wish I could find that on the internet somewhere...

I should think that unless Celestron can supply the missing part, your other options are to find a scrap 4SE (unlikely) use a diagonal on the camera port, or to have a new eyepiece barrel made by a machine shop.  The last would be easier done if you still have the lower, threaded portion and can purchase a 1.25" extender to rework.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rodgerpetrik said:

Thanks for the link to the manual.  The manual calls the piece I need to replace the "eyepiece barrel".  I wish I could find that on the internet somewhere...

You can contact Celestron spare parts by raising a ticket here:  celestron spare parts They don't seem to have the part listed on their website.

Looking at the screenshot in your first post, I do wonder whether it is a standard thread and the eyepiece holder off a cheap diagonal would screw in just as well - something like this Star Diagonal This is £17 and I've picked the cheapest available dispatched by Amazon which just makes it a bit easier to return if the barrel doesn't fit.

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

How did you get on with this?  Mine fell and I have broken, what I think they have called in that diagram, the "Rear Cell" . Mine is broken exactly where you piece pictured screws in, so i might try a diagonal and use the other "port"  

Edited by martin_y
typo