NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher EQ-5 mount tripod compatibility

nubs292

Hi, I am thinking of buying either the Skywatcher Star Adventurer Pro Pack or the Skywatcher EQ-5 mount (without GO-TO) as my first tracking mount. I don't know if the Skywatcher EQ-5 tripod is absolutely necessary or if it can fit on a standart tripod like the Star Adventurer. And the reason I'm thinking of the EQ-5 is because so that when I get a more robust setup with an Apo, I won't have to buy a new mount.

Thanks!

Edited by nubs292

• nubs292 changed the title to Skywatcher EQ-5 mount tripod compatibility

With the weight of the EQ5 mount, I wouldn't like to put it on top of a standard photographic tripod. It just wouldn't be stable enough. When attached to the tripod, the EQ5 isn't that heavy to move around and is a very stable platform for visual & imaging.

Also, if you want to do astrophotography, I would get the EQ5 with GoTo because it works out cheaper than fitting it later. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are planning ahead on a mount/tripod....
I think in terms of the biggest/heaviest mount and tripod my back (for lifting) and my wallet (for buying) will handle.

Agree with @Budgie1 on thinking goto rather than tracking. At some point you will want goto.

Of course if you have to carry the mount and tripod down 3 flights of stairs and then up a big hill, the guidance may vary.

The EQ5 tripod is good and solid. That is the first thing you need for astrophotography.

I don't know what scope or DSLR + lens you are planning to use.
A rule of thumb on mount sizing for astrophotography is to gone size up (at least) on the mount compared to that offered in a package scope & mount deal.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1

No the EQ5 head will not fit a standard photographic tripod.  The securing bolt is larger and the tripod has a recessed top machined to accept the base.  Also you can't buy just the mount head, it comes with the tripod which is very sturdy.

What exactly do you want to image? - What do you want to image in the future?  - And what is your budget?  - Are you looking  for something portable, or will you be using the rig form your back garden?

The two mounts you have listed in that format are totally different. The tracker has the drive built in already but is more suited for use with cameras and lenses or small OTAs, but if you get an undriven EQ5 you won't be able to track at all.  I would suggest the pro goto option being preferable given other posts where people have used the more basic drive option and experienced problems with guiding.  The goto option for the EQ5 also gives you more options for computer control and guided exposures.

But it also depends if you intend to use a telescope and camera or a camera and telephoto lens.  If using a telescope, what size do you see yourself using now and in the future.  Maybe getting something in the HEQ5 league would future proof any investment rather than finding you have reached the limits of the EQ5 when you want to upgrade the scope in a few years time....  (to those who know I couldn't resist :) )

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply @malc-c, I guess I should have dug deeper into how the EQ5 (and all mounts in general) is actually sold and how it works, I didn't fully understand what GOTO actually is. But yeah, I'll probably get the Star Adventurer, as I have now done untracked astrophotography for more than a year, with a DSLR and lens. In the future though, I will probably advance to something like a Zenithstar 61 and probably autoguiding too. Now, I have seen some people autoguide and image with a dedicated astronomy camera on a Star Adventurer. And knowing I'll probably get to that point of astrophotgraphy one day, in case I do buy something like an EQ5 or HEQ5 as my first tracking mount, can you even attach a DSLR and camera lens to it? Do you need to buy some other accessory like a dovetail to do that? Thanks!

Edited by nubs292

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

If you are planning ahead on a mount/tripod....
I think in terms of the biggest/heaviest mount and tripod my back (for lifting) and my wallet (for buying) will handle.

Agree with @Budgie1 on thinking goto rather than tracking. At some point you will want goto.

Of course if you have to carry the mount and tripod down 3 flights of stairs and then up a big hill, the guidance may vary.

The EQ5 tripod is good and solid. That is the first thing you need for astrophotography.

I don't know what scope or DSLR + lens you are planning to use.
A rule of thumb on mount sizing for astrophotography is to gone size up (at least) on the mount compared to that offered in a package scope & mount deal.

HTH, David.

Thanks for the reply!

I think people are confusing driving, tracking and guiding. A regular EQ5 can be driven, so track, but you need the goto version for guided tracking.

Here's my 'grab and go' 102mm apo on a driven EQ5. Visual only, but it could be used for planetary imaging.

1323978729_DSC_0147_DxO1200.jpg.42528f4938e2abb0bed6a8681035711b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I think people are confusing driving, tracking and guiding. A regular EQ5 can be driven, so track, but you need the goto version for guided tracking.

Here's my 'grab and go' 102mm apo on a driven EQ5. Visual only, but it could be used for planetary imaging.

1323978729_DSC_0147_DxO1200.jpg.42528f4938e2abb0bed6a8681035711b.jpg

Oh, now I get it. I really was confusing the three, thank you! But is it like that, where you have to buy the goto version for guided tracking, for most mounts or only the EQ5?

Edited by nubs292

If you had dual axis drives with the enhanced controller for the EQ5, it has an ST4 guide port, so with guiding software it is possible to auto guide with just the dual tracking motors. How effective it would be I could not say, maybe those who have tried this could inform you of their findings.

edit. Also there is the EQStar goto kit for the EQ5, there is a review on here Full EQStar Pro Review

Edited by Franklin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

If you had dual axis drives with the enhanced controller for the EQ5, it has an ST4 guide port, so with guiding software it is possible to auto guide with just the dual tracking motors. How effective it would be I could not say, maybe those who have tried this could inform you of their findings.

Worth a read

As mentioned elsewhere, whilst the cheaper options work they take a bit more fettling to get them working right