SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ZWO ASI 224MC vs. ZWO ASI 462MC?

Ian McCallum

The 462 is a newer camera with increased sensitivity but has smaller pixels than the 424 so matching pixel size to your  scope is important. I chose the 462 for my CC8” f12 as the pixel size is ideal.

There are online calculators that will help selecting the right pixel size.

The much increased sensitivity in IR means the 462 will work really well with an IR pass filter for planetary imaging. . 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The 462 is a newer camera with increased sensitivity but has smaller pixels than the 424 so matching pixel size to your  scope is important. I chose the 462 for my CC8” f12 as the pixel size is ideal.

There are online calculators that will help selecting the right pixel size.

The much increased sensitivity in IR means the 462 will work really well with an IR pass filter for planetary imaging. . 

I bought one of these, when I bought the ASI 120MM mini - will that do the job?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-essentials-filters/astro-essentials-uvir-cut-filter-125-2.html

48 minutes ago, johninderby said:

That should be OK.

The subject of filters creates a lot of discussion with these cameras. I’m sure someone who knows a lot more than me about it will be along shortly.

I've just reread your reply, I really should put my reading glasses on more often!😂  You mentioned an IR pass filter, but the one I've got is an IR cut filter. 🙄

32 minutes ago, johninderby said:

While an IR cut filter can be useful the IR pass filter is also usefull

FLO offers the 462 as a set with an IR cut filter and a Methane filter.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi462mc-kit-with-125-ch4-ir-cut-filters.html

I'll try to avoid jokes about needing a personal methane filter!🤣

• Haha 1