NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Counterweights

PeterCPC

I recently wanted some 500g counterweights for my Samyang 135mm rig. I got some bar weights from Amazon and put some 25mm to 20mm reducer bushes in them so they fitted the AVX shaft (20mm). Saved a lot of money. You need something to keep them in the right place so you can buy 20mm collars from RS supplies. I'm sure the same could be done with other mounts.

• Like 1

Good idea. :thumbsup:

I use barbel weights for under 2kg and 5kg weight lifting weights. Anything heavier is hard work!
Inexpensive too compared with buying commercial mount counterweights.
I discovered that so-called "Olympic" weights have 2" [50mm] clearance holes for bigger shafts.
Other weights had smaller holes. Choosing your weights can save a lot of drilling or turning.

12 minutes ago, Dinglem said:

Can you claim putting them on and taking them off as a workout? 🤣

For me? No. 💪   But I am only 75. Here's a picture of me: "When I were a lad:" 👴

I train regularly with loads of 10kg bags of compressed wood briquettes for the stove.
Typically 10 bags at a time: Lift from the stack outside into a shopping trolley.
Drag the trolley inside [uphill with camber] to the checkout. Pay and drag the trolley back outside.
Cross the sloping car park [with camber] while carefully avoiding crash test dimmies. [sic]
Unload the trolley into the boot. Drive home while practicing wheelies.
Unload the boot into a wheelbarrow. Push the wheelbarrow to the shed door.
Usually 2 trips with 5 bags each x 15 meters. Unload the wheelbarrow and carry the bags over to the stack.
Bring them indoors as needed. 20 meters. Too much information? Well, you did ask. :tongue2:

I buy cast iron round (100 mm diameter) on ebay, I then drill centre out to require diameter and drill in from side and tap to M8 and fit screw knob, I have just one for my samyang 135 mm on my SW eq5. I usually  also give them a clear laquer coats to stop rust. Weight is around 1 -2 kg depending on thickness of round. Cast piece for this was £12 including postage. (100 mm x 1")

IMG-0275.thumb.JPG.3fda657d255ab953c1ac51bb7d59e675.JPG

Edited by chemistorge
  • Like 2