NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dovetail Bar Mount Advice

I have a 1m long 10" Newton on order (OOUK) which will be mated to a EQ6R-Pro tripod.

I'm looking for some advice as I intend to use a Losmandy style dovetail plate.

There are quite a few options out there so firstly what length would you suggest would be most suitable and secondly what make/model should should I avoid.

There seems to be extruded versions and solid bar versions and also metric and imperial options on one I've seen.

Just don't want to make a mistake with this vital piece of the system by getting something too short or too flimsy.

Many thanks in advance

When I first started to use Losmandy dovetails (2008?) on heavy copes, I discovered there were small, but sometimes important, differences in the profiles.
Brand A rail being a tight fit on brand B mount, etc.

Obviously I wanted to avoid trimming/filing that would cause problems elsewhere. Surely a standard should exist? Things moved forward in 2010.

I have since tended to buy ADM parts when buying new, and regard anything secondhand that doesn't fit too well as being wrong.
If other manufacurers can't be bothered to publish dimensions, how do we know they will make the same size from one year to the next?
As I have not bought any new Losmandy kit for a while, I cannot comment on the StellaMira fit.

Enjoy the new scope.

David.