SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

G'day cobber!! When it should be Good day! On the SynScan app

Firstly sorry for the confusing title . But that's what I am , confused . Now I am normally an iPhone user but this year I changed to android.  The problem which has been well documented lies with the synscan app. I am using android 12 and even downloading direct from the skywatcher site the location user in the app doesn't work ! The app keeps crashing . Even more ridiculous is that when I enter the "tonight's best " utility I am faced with lots of southern hemisphere targets !!!! Sure I would love to see the large magellanic cloud but from my English location alas it isn't possible . Oh and polaris apparently sits 1 degree above the horizon ! I am using a Samsung 21 ultra . 

Any ideas people ? 

I'd go into Settings > Apps and Permissions and pre-emptively give the app location access in there then try again.

Alternatively I'm sure I've seen on here you can manually enter location info into the app, it just has to be in a specific format.

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Firstly sorry for the confusing title . But that's what I am , confused . Now I am normally an iPhone user but this year I changed to android.  The problem which has been well documented lies with the synscan app. I am using android 12 and even downloading direct from the skywatcher site the location user in the app doesn't work ! The app keeps crashing . Even more ridiculous is that when I enter the "tonight's best " utility I am faced with lots of southern hemisphere targets !!!! Sure I would love to see the large magellanic cloud but from my English location alas it isn't possible . Oh and polaris apparently sits 1 degree above the horizon ! I am using a Samsung 21 ultra . 

Any ideas people ? 

I can't offer any help, but thanks for the warning - my phone is due to get the Android 12 update in the next couple of months.

I don't use my phone often for Syncan as I have kept an old Sony Tablet (circa 2013) for this simply because I find it easier to operate with a larger screen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DhamR said:

I'd go into Settings > Apps and Permissions and pre-emptively give the app location access in there then try again.

Alternatively I'm sure I've seen on here you can manually enter location info into the app, it just has to be in a specific format.

thanks for the reply , yes ... i have manually entered the location but it still comes up with the ridiculous scenario of showing Southern Hemisphere targets. 

The phone seems to have all the sensors you need, so my thoughts are download a different app and see if it can find Polaris correctly. I do enjoy telling boy (Galaxy S21) and son-in-law (Apple top kiddy) that my cheapseats pixel 5 slaughters them as far as phone sensors go. Hope it's not your phone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Its good to see I am not the only one with a location definition problem. I downloaded the latest version of the app from the SkyWatcher site (and not the play store which is an older version) to a Samsung S20plus and the location finder does not work and the app crashes. I have Android 12 on this machine. I have added local location data manually and the app doesn't crash as a result. Strangley I also loaded the same version of the app onto a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 with Android 11. The auto location definition works fine. Bloody android systems!!

Hope someone comes up with a work around that doesn't involve setting location manually.

• Like 1

I find the most annoying thing being the need to disconnect from home wifi and 4/5G.

Also find I lose phone battery very fast outside in the cold

I've been thinking of setting up an old phone purely as a syncan remote, nothing else installed, all services stopped, etc., with just synscan setup.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DhamR said:

I find the most annoying thing being the need to disconnect from home wifi and 4/5G.

Also find I lose phone battery very fast outside in the cold

I've been thinking of setting up an old phone purely as a syncan remote, nothing else installed, all services stopped, etc., with just synscan setup.

Done that myself.