Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 or M82

O.k... got some observing in last night, although the moon was making the sky quite light.

I was trying to find M81 and M82. Using my Skymax 127, I could just about locate a grey fuzzy blob... which I'm pretty sure was one of these... but I could not locate a 2nd near-by - so I'm unsure which one I was actually looking at.

Basically... grey fuzzy blob... and just to the left of it (or right I guess after reflection) I could make out a couple of bright points at a slight diagonal. Does this sound familiar?

I'll try again tonight if clouds permit.

ok I was looking at m81 and m82 with my mak 127 the other night

i was using a 32mm eyepiece which allowed me to see both in the same view if you look at m81 its elliptic in shape m82 is cigar shaped and smaller but slightly brighter to the eye.

I suggest you try this wider eyepiece and get m81 on the left hand side of the view ,then you will see m82 on the extreme right, a fantastic sight in my opinion as they are two interacting galaxies.

Managed to get a better look last night... and also got both in view (just).

These are to first galaxies that I've ever observed myself... so I'm well pleased ;-)

great news! now on to the next ones .........,try m51 in canes venatici m65 and m66 in leo are my current next target though they are not easy in my light polluted skies,

Alao do not despair with the small mak the night i was struggling to find m51 I read on the forum a bloke with a 16inch dob also could not find it!!!!!!!!!,i found it the next night even with the moon up .

Archived