SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone recommend some decent eyepieces

There's a world of difference. Even similar powers from different brands are different between each other, even from the same brand they differ in quality.

Edited by Elp

Both EPs are good shouts, Dakuwaqa. The Vixen NPLs are very good at the longer focal lengths, especially the 30mm - good for locating targets and viewing larger objects. I'd avoid the shorter focal lengths as the eye relief (distance between the eye and the lens) gets very tight. The BST Starguiders are great for the price  for higher magnifications.

16 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Both EPs are good shouts, Dakuwaqa. The Vixen NPLs are very good at the longer focal lengths, especially the 30mm - good for locating targets and viewing larger objects. I'd avoid the shorter focal lengths as the eye relief (distance between the eye and the lens) gets very tight. The BST Starguiders are great for the price  for higher magnifications.

Thanks!!

What difference does an expensive eyepiece have over a cheaper version. Is the image significantly? 

The route i took with my Eyepiece journey was somewhat circumvent. I initially replaced the no name 10mm at the same time I bought the first of my two scopes with a 9mm Celestron Omni. The short eye relief nudged me onward to a set of the BST Starguiders (minus the 3.2mm). I then added several Explore Scientific 82 degree and a few ultra flat field 65 & 70 degree topped off with a Baader Hyperion Zoom and a couple of Nirvana’s.I can honestly say that the BST Starguiders are a fantastic eyepiece for the price, and punch way above it’s weight. FLO still have them at £49 so they are just inside your budget. To me eyepieces are the candy of astronomy, such that I always want to taste another flavor even though my teeth are falling out (wallet). Clear skies and good luck 👍 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to your Mak's f/12.7 focal ratio, you're going to max-out on usable focal lengths at around 0.6*12.7=7mm.  This is assuming you can tolerate a 0.6mm exit pupil.  I cannot.  I have too many floaters in my observing eye.  I can barely tolerate a 0.75mm exit pupil which would be a 0.75*12.7=9.5mm eyepiece in your scope.  Splitting the difference, I wouldn't go below an 8mm eyepiece.  The BST Starguiders have an 8mm for a good price.  I typically don't go below 9mm in my 127 Mak (f/12.1).