Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C8-SCT Back focus question

The Celestron and Meade .63 reducers are 105mm. However, a discussion on cloudy nights is suggesting the antares is 85mm...

Help a brother out, what is the real backfocus spec of the Antares F6.3 SCT reducer? - Equipment - Cloudy Nights

Graeme

EDIT:  Posts further down are confirming 105mm.   Easiest thing to do would be to focus the sun through the reducer, measure that distance and halve it. 

Edited by jacko61

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? Everywhere I read it says 105mm back spacing which I have achieved using the following:

Celestron T Adapter (50mm) + 16.5mm Spacer + 21mm Spacer + ASI2600mc (17.5mm)

I thought it might be collimation so last night I again used Deneb to check and whilst it isnt perfect it was the best I could get it.

collimation.jpg

Edited by stargazermanc

1 hour ago, stargazermanc said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? Everywhere I read it says 105mm back spacing

Yes, 105mm is the accepted figure, but based on your star shapes in the corners, you could add a couple of mm and see if the star shape improves.

Michael

3 hours ago, stargazermanc said:

I have no way to add as the all the adapters are fixed in length.

What is preventing you adding more adapters ?

Here's a set of 3mm to 40mm M42 adapters that you can add to or replace your 16.5mm and 21mm adapters, to get a wide range of different lengths:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/VSA19-10.html

Michael

• 1 month later...
On 14/01/2022 at 13:32, stargazermanc said:

I have no way to add as the all the adapters are fixed in length.

You could add baader aluminium shims.. come in various thickness, gold a 1mm, black .5 and red .3 if I remember correctly..you have a APS-C sized sensor so you need more critical spacing, the best collimation you can get.. I've said this elsewhere but I don't think 105 is the correct spacing as that gave me a focal length of 1320, which shouldn't be correct..

I've adjusted the spacing to give me the 1280 it should be, stars look much better..sure I can improve it very slightly but as I'm using a smaller sensor how precise do I want it