Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Impact of bandshift when using narrow ha filters with night vision and fast optics

GavStar

In my observing session last night I took a few phone images of the area around Orion and Barnard’s Loop with my pvs-14 at 1x with my chroma 3nm ha filter. I thought it may be of interest to see just how significant the bandshift impact is with a 3nm filter at f1.2 - a lot!! But the contrast on the nebulae in the middle is amazing so that’s why I prefer to use a very narrowband filter despite the bandshift.

I also tried my chroma 5nm ha, but personally I preferred the 3nm views.

DCCA3457-43E8-41B6-92C9-E47B3F889208.jpeg

BDE28C6C-581B-4E01-95A0-468D5339A4E8.jpeg

6401E0D1-38B2-4C4A-BC5D-AE7EC715DDF1.jpeg

19804FEB-EBE3-42F0-9185-368FFD9C66F9.jpeg

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 1

I guess that really depends where you place filter?

There are several places in optical train that can fit it - and you should choose one that provides best angles (my bet would be before prime focus of telescope).

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I guess that really depends where you place filter?

There are several places in optical train that can fit it - and you should choose one that provides best angles (my bet would be before prime focus of telescope).

With the pvs-14 there is only one place you can put the filter since the front lens isn’t removable.

14 minutes ago, GavStar said:

With the pvs-14 there is only one place you can put the filter since the front lens isn’t removable.

What is exactly your setup?

Scope  -> EP -> PSV-14

Right?

Can you put filter onto EP?