NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2024 IC434 Flame Nebula & Horsehead (very much WIP)

Very early on in processing, this is just the RGB data I took on Wednesday.
Had several issues which meant  did not get the amount of data I was hoping for but still with the absence of moon (what happened there ? I was convinced up north we only have clear nights when almost full moon) got some good data.
I have been waiting around 11 months to get this RGB to go with some decent Ha data I obtained in February.

So far Pre-Processed the Ha, RGB in PI as far as calibration and StarAlignment, and also did some MureDenoise but that was very subtle.
Below is first RGB blended image with colour calibration and so far nothing else, so a bit to do yet, but for me looking like it could end up being my best image so far in my 3 years in AP.
RGB_CC.thumb.jpg.5397af22a09ac192a67f59ca953c9c43.jpg

Like I say work in progress and need to add the Ha data below somehow and try to reduce Alnitak and maybe some other bright stars.

Ha_4.thumb.jpg.e123b4a0807f3c93558123e63956e022.jpg

Any advice is more than welcome 🙂 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Very early on in processing, this is just the RGB data I took on Wednesday.
Had several issues which meant  did not get the amount of data I was hoping for but still with the absence of moon (what happened there ? I was convinced up north we only have clear nights when almost full moon) got some good data.
I have been waiting around 11 months to get this RGB to go with some decent Ha data I obtained in February.

So far Pre-Processed the Ha, RGB in PI as far as calibration and StarAlignment, and also did some MureDenoise but that was very subtle.
Below is first RGB blended image with colour calibration and so far nothing else, so a bit to do yet, but for me looking like it could end up being my best image so far in my 3 years in AP.
RGB_CC.thumb.jpg.5397af22a09ac192a67f59ca953c9c43.jpg

Like I say work in progress and need to add the Ha data below somehow and try to reduce Altinak and maybe some other bright stars.

Ha_4.thumb.jpg.e123b4a0807f3c93558123e63956e022.jpg

Any advice is more than welcome 🙂 

Steve

These look very nice already, looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Have you tried using the new GHS script for stretching? Takes a bit of learning and fiddling to find the right settings, but should help to control Alnitak and other bright stars without the need for star reduction later down the line. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

These look very nice already, looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Have you tried using the new GHS script for stretching? Takes a bit of learning and fiddling to find the right settings, but should help to control Alnitak and other bright stars without the need for star reduction later down the line. 

Thanks 🙂 

I have looked at the script and had a quick go with it on some of my old data and as you say there is a bit of a learning curve to it so I do want to give it a go, maybe do it my usual way first, keeping the project saved so I can back-track and then try again using the script.

Steve

It's taking a while to process but coming together.

Taking longer than it should because for one I never added Ha to RGB, but after saying that not got to that bot yet, but also tried a few different techniques and also documented some notes for myself so I can remember what I have done.
So far done:

• calibration
  • Alignment
  • MureDenoise before RGB combination
  • LinearFit all frames to Green frame
  • RGB Combination
  • PhotometricColourCalibration
  • A bit more noise reduction with MultiscaleLinearTransform
  • Removed any remaining  green cast off with SCNR
  • HistogramTransformation to give a gentle stretch
  • MaskedStretch to try and stop Altinak taking over.
  • Some final noise removal with TGV Denoise

And that it so far, still have the Ha data almost untouched just a bit on noise removal to add into this.

RGB_SCNR_Green_01_clone.thumb.jpg.2ad5a18305122c59dbc20cf8854991ef.jpg

Steve

• Like 5

Looking lovely.  When I started out on this AP lark a couple of years ago I thought it would be the data acquisition that was the time sink but no, the processing is what just eats time and you can just keep going and going with it!  You've got a nice balance here :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

Looking lovely.  When I started out on this AP lark a couple of years ago I thought it would be the data acquisition that was the time sink but no, the processing is what just eats time and you can just keep going and going with it!  You've got a nice balance here :) 

That must catch us all out then 🙂 

I think I am learning that often a little is best and Don't go mad, it may look like I have done a lot of noise reduction but each stage was pretty subtle, and the stretches done a bit at a time.
Also I think until all this comes naturally (which is practice and more practice) then takes time looking on my notes and on line, books etc.

I did begin to think at one time it was almost impossible to understand all the parameters, but I am getting there and often its only a couple out of many more that need setting.

I think I said at the start if I wanted to do something that was easy it certainly wouldn't be this 🙂 

Steve

Very nice Steve and going well, to me the initial image has better colour than the pcc'd one..  I'd highly recommend that you get as much luminance data as you can as it will transform your image and really bring out all the features.  As for Alnitak, masked stretching works well as does using the Ha as luminance over it. To do this in Pixinsight you'll need a round feathered mask which you can create using the GAME script in Utilities..   extract the Luminance from the RGB .. create a mask for Alnitak  ...  blend the extracted RGB  Luminance and the Ha together using Pixel math to create a new Luminance and then apply to the RGB  (eg Pixel math formula (RGBLum x (1-mask) + Ha x mask) ..  you'll need to fiddle around with the size of the mask and the blend ..  I find it a bit easier in Photoshop 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Steve and going well, to me the initial image has better colour than the pcc'd one..  I'd highly recommend that you get as much luminance data as you can as it will transform your image and really bring out all the features.  As for Alnitak, masked stretching works well as does using the Ha as luminance over it. To do this in Pixinsight you'll need a round feathered mask which you can create using the GAME script in Utilities..   extract the Luminance from the RGB .. create a mask for Alnitak  ...  blend the extracted RGB  Luminance and the Ha together using Pixel math to create a new Luminance and then apply to the RGB  (eg Pixel math formula (RGBLum x (1-mask) + Ha x mask) ..  you'll need to fiddle around with the size of the mask and the blend ..  I find it a bit easier in Photoshop 

Dave

Many thanks Dave taking time to comment and give me some tips.

I have actually finished the processing now, well as a version 1 anyway, I will have a sit back now and have a think then another go (as you do 🙂 )  and like you am now thinking the red colour is wrong and too deep.
I have used a masked stretch for Alnitak but not sure what you mean by using Ha as luminance over it, but think I get it and certainly will have a try on the next version - thanks for the tip that's just what I need 🙂 

Steve

Well here is version 1 🙂 

I was really pleased during most of the processing but not really happy with the end result, don't get me wrong I still think it is the best image I have produced so far (maybe biased because this is one of my favorite targets and taken sometime to be able to do it properly) but I think maybe I lost my way along the processing and maybe messed the colour up slightly (possibly starting with PCC as @Laurin Dave suggests) and maybe missed a few tricks of bringing the detail out with a luminance or the Ha addition.

Still I am very happy with the data just feel I can still do better , which is fine that's how it is in this hobby.

I think all the detail in the Ha has not really transferred to the final image, so work to do there as well 🙂 

HaRGB.png

Hi Steve

A quick test go..  1. extracted Lightness from your RGB... 2. registered the Ha..   3. Use GAME script to create the mask...  used Pixel math to create a merged lum (Lum fromRgb*(1-mask) +Ha*mask)  then used LRGB combination to apply this new lum to your RGB...  extracted background and gave it a slight strttetch...images below.. a bit rough and ready but you can see the effect..

Dave

482594331_RGBWithHaLumoverAlnitak.jpg.65c94dacd9eb3d3f028357c73489302b.jpgHa.jpg.e2eff2b2222ed55b83164cb40672afec.jpgRgb_lum.jpg.798e55a2ea87ad495536a2a68cc10c09.jpgmask.jpg.63f314d437bd1eb97b75a9a113b915a5.jpgHa_RGB_mergeLum.jpg.7ae98e8de8300456175fcce1829e09a7.jpg

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, I like that, colours closer to what I would like and I think shows the detail in the Ha 🙂 

It is not actually too different from what I did at the end of mine to change the redness of the Flame using GAME to create a mask so I should be abe to follow that okay.

Steve