Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Annual Orion Nebula Photo 2022

orion25

Here is my annual photo of one of my favorite nebulae of all time, M42, the Orion Nebula, prime focus using a Nikon D3200 and 127mm StarMax Mak-Cass at ISO 3200, single 10s exposure, post-processing in Photoshop:

1839668154_ASTRONOMY-ORIONNEBULA1-03-22A006BESTFIX(ISO3200)SM.jpg.38337b96c66a80723aece0fa40e73941.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie🚀

• Like 8

That looks very nice. It just shows that one can image with "slow" scope as well.

Would you be so kind to share original raw from the camera? I'd like to see how far I could push it in processing using some tricks (like binning the data and so on).

43 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That looks very nice. It just shows that one can image with "slow" scope as well.

Would you be so kind to share original raw from the camera? I'd like to see how far I could push it in processing using some tricks (like binning the data and so on).

Sure, vlaiv. Here it is. I can't wait to see your results! There was a little "ring" anomaly near the right bottom edge of the image, not quite sure what caused it.

1792880359_ORIONNEBULA1-03-22A006BEST.thumb.jpg.a10e520b4fb5f579a5d151a63bd13c4c.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie

10 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Sure, vlaiv. Here it is. I can't wait to see your results! There was a little "ring" anomaly near the right bottom edge of the image, not quite sure what caused it.

You had it set to Jpeg only? No raw?

That ring is some sort of reflection from a bright star. Not sure what caused it, but it sometimes happens.

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Even Jpeg version can be somewhat improved by binning. This is binned x6 and then processed:

M42.jpg.c8f6e80f41b9a336e3c9c38e98a38e86.jpg

Wow, what an improvement! I had hoped the full quality image would be inserted in the reply post to you; I'll send you a message. Thanks for your effort!