Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spraying OTA

bomberbaz

I have a 60mm F12 OTA that I want to respray, it comes apart quite easily but just wanted any suggestions or experiences of doing it yourself.

I am considering the option to do the respray myself but want to take as much advice as possible first before I make any attempts.

I have sent out a few emails regarding having it done professionally but had no replies just yet!

TIA

Steve

On 31/12/2021 at 10:13, malc-c said:

I was going to give you some suggestions, but as you have an offer I would take it....  Spray painting isn't difficult,  but it can go wrong very quickly... 

40 years ago i worked in a spraying shop and was reasonably accomplished, albeit an apprentice. But you are very right, things do go wrong quickly, overspray being probably the biggest one. 

Also 40 years is a long time and given Peter's pedigree, I was happy to accept his offer of help . 

Thanks for the near suggestion though, haha.

There is even more chances of it going pear shaped if using cans rather than a professional spray gun.  Nothing worse than spending hours prepping and cleaning the surface to be painted for a nozzle from a can to spit rather than spray. Or the can is too cold (learnt the trick to warm the cans up in hot water after making that mistake), and as you say, overspray is far more common, especially when using cans

In 2006 I built my first scale electric RC helicopter based on a real LA PD helicopter of the same type.  I managed to spray the three colour livery and give it a couple of coats of clear lacquer without any runs, using noting more than shade matched spray cans from a company that supplied paint to the motor trade.  It was my first time at masking and painting layers... quite chuffed with the result.  Here it is after the paint had dried and ready for the glazing

103865505_AS350.jpg.48edefb128136461916626662248924f.jpg

And here is the only image of the real thing I had to work with

1656933903_N216LApic1.jpg.1f8a69ec4e724fcfdcdf21a0155a6861.jpg

Anyway, going slightly OT.... looking forward to seeing the completed resprayed OTA when its done

6 hours ago, malc-c said:

There is even more chances of it going pear shaped if using cans rather than a professional spray gun.  Nothing worse than spending hours prepping and cleaning the surface to be painted for a nozzle from a can to spit rather than spray. Or the can is too cold (learnt the trick to warm the cans up in hot water after making that mistake), and as you say, overspray is far more common, especially when using cans

In 2006 I built my first scale electric RC helicopter based on a real LA PD helicopter of the same type.  I managed to spray the three colour livery and give it a couple of coats of clear lacquer without any runs, using noting more than shade matched spray cans from a company that supplied paint to the motor trade.  It was my first time at masking and painting layers... quite chuffed with the result.  Here it is after the paint had dried and ready for the glazing

103865505_AS350.jpg.48edefb128136461916626662248924f.jpg

And here is the only image of the real thing I had to work with

1656933903_N216LApic1.jpg.1f8a69ec4e724fcfdcdf21a0155a6861.jpg

Anyway, going slightly OT.... looking forward to seeing the completed resprayed OTA when its done

Just wondering whether to buy some lacquer too, afterall I don't want it chipping after the effort that is going into it.

I will post up into DIY section, I am taking pictures of before and after so will be showing it all off in a few weeks.

It will be (to my eyes at least) superb.